Skip to main content

Brazilian mini-adventure (involving a kombi and tapioca).


I just have to say again: it is so lovely to be here in Fortaleza! The past days have been very chilled, and so this evening it was time for a slightly involuntary adventure (which non-the-less reminded me of many crazy times living here).

My friend Selma and I decided to head to Centro das Tapioqueiras for dinner (a traditional Brazilian pancake type thing made from manioc flour). The transportation option was the kombi, and I decided to brave the roads of Fortaleza and face my hesitancy to yet again embrace driving here (which can get quite crazy at times). As we got into the kombi I was instructed “it is kind of dying, but if you loose velocity, just take your foot off the accelerator and put it down again and you’ll be fine”. Not the greatest confidence booster, but I figured it wasn’t a long drive, and besides I was quite set on eating my favorite tapioca again.

As we got on the road I realized the acceleration wasn’t the only thing that was “dying”. The steering was very weird, and I kept having to rotate the steering wheel back and forth to even stay straight on the road. I must have looked like a drunk driver at first until I found my stride.

Anyway, choosing a slower, but safer speed we finally got to the place and parked the kombi. It took a bit of fidgeting with the driver’s door for it to open, but we’d made it.

We gave our order, and as we were waiting a lady approached us explaining about a drug rehab for women and how they really needed money. She was selling trufas chocolate truffles to raise money so I bought a couple to help out. Such a different way of raising funds, but I guess every little bit counts.

As the waiter put in front of me the plate with my tapioca; half with queijo coalho (Brazilian type of cheese), and the other half my favourite: caramelized banana, cheese, sweet condensed milk, and cinnamon, I was so happy! And it didn’t disappoint. Together with café com leite it was perfect.

We ate and talked and remembered old times and then it was time to drive back.

As we pulled out of the parking lot and onto the busy road, we heard some shouts, only to realise the side door had slid open. I was already in the furthest lane so with a bit a manoeuvring Selma shut it (or so she thought) and we continued our journey. However, just a little further along the door decided to slide wide open, and somehow (with the faulty steering) I had to pull onto the curb for Selma to get out and shut the door properly. Only in Brazil I think.

Anyways, as we continued driving we were laughing at how a simple trip can become such an adventure. We talked about when we had bought a house in the city centre for the ministry back in 2001; and me and another staff had carried the entire value of the house in cash out of the bank because the owners insisted on being paid in cash. And how at another time Elisabeth and I had been on our way to a family visit in one of the slums in our little white Fiat ministry car, only to be told by the people on our way that we needed to turn back because there were gang-fights going on. So many stories and memories and things to “write in the book”, if it ever gets written.

I remember I always wanted to write a book about life as a missionary when I lived in Brazil. I was going to call it “blond wisdom- a survival guide to life in missions”, and share practical wisdom I’d picked up over the years of being a single blond woman ministering in Brazil. It never really even got started, but maybe one day I’ll sit down and put on paper some of the craziness I’ve lived. Probably mostly to share how not to do things, but also about how exciting it is when you step out and do amazing things with God.

We made it back to the base and the conclusion was that it was a lovely evening. And even with a kombi which was definitely more a challenge than a delight to drive, we didn’t hit anyone, have any accidents, and didn’t destroy any part of the kombi or other immaterial objects- so it was a successful drive.

Now it’s getting late. Tomorrow I teach my final day with the DTS. Today was all about Human trafficking which was intense- tomorrow mostly about how to practically work with issues of justice, so hopefully not quite as intense. And then hopefully I can pop to the beach and fill up my vitamin D storage.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o