Skip to main content

A few delayed reflections.

Internet. It’s amazing how something you cannot see has become something so integral in life. And when it doesn’t work it’s almost as if the world is about to end… almost. It’s easy to do without it, unless you were counting on it.

These past months the internet has come and gone randomly. And it’s made me more thankful when it does work, and less frustrated when it doesn’t

Here are a couple of reflections written in the absence of internet, which even so record some of the movements of my heart in this time.

Cumbuco- a little interval of rest at a cottage (read: apartment) on the beach.

I write this as I sit outside on the veranda of a little beach apartment facing a huge swimming pool; listening to birds squeaking, and the waves hitting the shore in the distance. It’s 5 pm, my favourite hour of the day. The hour when it’s not quite as warm, and yet the mosquitoes haven’t made their appearance fully yet. It’s a good hour to write. And yes, I don’t have internet here. Just my laptop with its battery still charged and a cracked screen which still works, kind of. And my mind and heart full of words and impressions I want to express before they drift into oblivion.

As we stepped into the apartment it really reminded me of a Norwegian cottage. Not because of its structure or decoration, but simply because you could tell it belonged to someone and was filled with random things which slowly had been collected to make it function. Old cushions in the sofa and walls in need of paint, in some way added to the charm, and although it would have been nice to have fully working fridge/freezer I am grateful for a freezer part which functions as a fridge (milk tends to go sour very quickly in room temperature here). Still, even with quite a number of improvements waiting to be made, it has its charm. The three ceramic flowers with ladybirds on them hanging on the wall of the veranda add a personal touch, as do the random collection of paintings displayed throughout the apartment. Not sure if they were bought, received as gifts or simply painted by someone in the family- however they came to hang on the walls, they definitely add personality to this little place. (We later found out they were all painted by the owner.)

But the inside isn’t really at all what brings the most joy. It’s the swimming pool. The front part of the apartment complex had a huge swimming pool, and with the other apartments not in use at the moment, it remains clean and vacant. I love the beach. I love hearing the sound of the waves and enjoying the spectacular view of the waves crashing against the shore- never crossing the boundary of the sand which has been put in place as a limit. Yet, I do love swimming pools- not water parks with slides and things. Just a simple pool is enough for me. One that you can swim in.

Peace and rest.

That was what I came seeking, and that is what I am finding. It’s such a privilege to be able to sleep until you wake up and even then have the luxury of lingering in the hammock reading until you feel like getting up. Resting with no agenda or demands on your time. Resting without having to accomplish something at the end of the day.

Resting.

My mind has slowly started to wind down. After a couple of months of intensity and busyness, I am in great need of rest. Not a rest that produces, at least not in the measurable sense. But a rest that produces a capacity and a peace which brings strength for the journey.

Rest.

I wish I knew how to remain in the state of rest, yet I haven’t figured that out yet. And until I do, I will take the moments and days like these and be thankful.

The need for life (reflection the day after a night of outreach on the streets).

As I think about the women I met last night, I realize that as we go out, there is so much of God’s heart expressed in the simple going out there representing Him. There is such a desire in God’s heart to see these women and men on the streets not just survive but truly live. He came with life.

Came with abundant life. A gift. A gift available through Him giving His life that we might live.

Life where there is a purpose beyond simply making it through the day.

Life.

Realizing that my definition of life could also be so different. Different from their understanding. Different from what Jesus means when He says He came to give abundant life. It can look different. My definition is different. My definition of being alive might well not mean what they are saying when they say “I feel alive.”

Life is an inner reality. It begins on the inside. The surroundings might change as well, but they might not. Still, even when poverty and need remains, there is always the invitation to “take heart” and know that He has overcome the worlds.

Overcome. Eternity.

Everything falls into place when the goal is eternity. The obstacles and mountains in our paths crumble and become so small in view of eternity. Maybe that is what Jesus meant when He said that faith moves mountains. Maybe He didn’t mean just a physical rock being moved, but that the mountains of life are moved because our faith sees the bigger picture- the eternal vision.

This is not it.

This is not the end.

This life is but a fleeting moment. And yet, I don’t want to miss the moment. I don’t want to struggle through. I desire life now; believing it is available if I simply take a hold of it.

But how?

“How?” is an eternal question. “How” is part of the journey because if I knew “how” I wouldn’t ask Him. I wouldn’t set my heart to seek out the way. He leads me, but also walks with me. And the delight of discovery is part of life; part of being alive.

Palm trees swaying in the wind. Trees desperately preserving water so that they might live and not die in a time of draught. Deeply rooted in sand- although their roots must go deeper to tap into the water that will bring them life.

Life water.

Remembering Jesus at the well. A time and place where water was so important. A time and a place where life and water went hand in hand. They still do, but we’ve forgotten to be thankful.

A little bird.

I sit here on the beach admiring the spectacular beach and ocean while feeling the breeze. I hear the calming sound of waves crashing against the shore- a constant sound that is a reminder of the incredible power in the waters and currents. I smell the freshness of the air mingled with salt. And a little bird appears. It’s tiny and it’s perches momentarily on the laminated menu lying on the table. I notice him and then he’s gone. And yet that moment is like a whisper from Father God to me, saying: “remember like the sparrow has a home, I will give you a home also.”

Amazed.

Amazed at how a simple moment can speak volumes. How a split second can bring an infusion of hope and peace. How creation speaks the very words of God.

Another wee bird hops along the sand and then flies off- “I am with you also in the desert times, my daughter. I never left you and I never will,” the familiar voice speaks to my heart again.

I am listening.

The key ingredient to receive what is being said is to listen. The key to let the words of life become life- listening, knowing the words always come with an invitation.

Listening is more than a physiological process of sound waves entering the ear and vibrating off the ear drum. Listening is paying attention and letting the brain a part in interpreting what those sound waves really mean. It’s choosing to understand so that there can be a choice to allow it to remain or not.

Listening. Maybe that is the key to life. Listening to words that bring life, and as they bring life, walking in that life and letting it become not just something heard, but something lived.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o