Skip to main content

Beautiful hearts. Beautiful country.

My heart is full. Full of thankfulness for these months I got to spend here in this beautiful country. Needless to say these last days have been more intentional. Not so much in the trying to get a billion things done, but intentional in desiring to absorb and appreciate the moments more.

Last night was the last time on the streets with the Iris team. It was such a precious time! They had made homemade chocolates and little verses had been written out for the women. As we divided into groups and headed out it was so beautiful to see the joy on the faces of the women as they got the little gift. It’s amazing how such a small thing can make such a difference. One girl said “this was just what I needed”. It was such a special evening of getting to know a little of what hides behind the confident exterior of these women (and men) who night after night stand on the street corners offering themselves to the cars that come by. It is always a privilege when they choose to open up and talk. A privilege to get a glimpse of their beautiful hearts. And a privilege to be allowed to speak words of life into their lives.

We left so encouraged by God’s commitment and love to them and us.

Driving back I had such peace. It’s about a 30 minute drive from the city to the base when there is no traffic, which there generally is very little of at 2:30 am. And as I was driving I also realised how relaxed I was, and smiled at the irony of how the last few days of my time here I am not feeling stressed and overwhelmed by driving and have actually quite come to enjoy the challenge of navigating the craziness of traffic here.

Thankful!

Today I had a last beach visit. Waking up the sky looked very grey and yet as we drove to the beach the sky became a beautiful blue. It was great to feel the warmth of the sun topping up my tan, and enjoying the warm sea water, knowing that this is the last time for a good while. This nation has a lot of challenges, but it also has so much beauty! Beauty which you can’t find anywhere else. Seeking to savour the flavours that define this place, I enjoyed a last água de coco (coconut water) before I left the beach...for now.

Friendship.

Sitting here I am so thankful for friendships here. So many amazing people I have had the privilege of knowing more and getting to know these months. People who make my life richer. So thankful for them. This evening I went with a bunch of friends to eat a final churro and tapioca. It was delicious and such a blessed time. Beats packing. Friends are such a gift.

Leaving... tomorrow I go. After almost a full last day I get on a plane and head into wrapping up this season. Tying up loose ends and saying goodbye in Amsterdam. Not looking forward to the good bye part, but hope to focus on the appreciating people part rather than the imminent absence part. Amsterdam is also full of people who make my life rich. I look forward to seeing them again.

And so I end this day full of thankfulness. Thankful for this journey I get to be on. And thankful for Jesus and the cross. Thankful that tomorrow is Easter Sunday- a reminder that He didn’t just die, but that He rose and is alive and gives me life. And for that I am the most thankful.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o