Skip to main content

Revisiting a full heart and familiar places.

I can feel the very slight chill in the air coming in from the open veranda door here in my old apartment in the centre of Amsterdam. Outside I can spot the trees starting to turn yellow, and the grand oude kerk church building is stood strong as it has for hundreds of years. There is the familiar bustle of people talking, bike bells ringing, and the occasional motorbike whizzing by. It makes me smile. I am back for a long weekend in Amsterdam. My first time visiting rather than living here, and it’s wonderful to have a little break in the settling into life in Norway.

I’ve been looking forward to this trip for a while. Mostly seeing familiar faces and having time with dear friends. I love this city, but I have come to realise it’s mostly about the people; they are the ones I come to visit and then the stunning buildings and quaint cafes are a bonus.

Yesterday I went along for the Friday outreach. Oh, how my heart was filled up again with love and passion. Seeing a dear friend who was cooking her “simple” (but to us gourmet) dinner with chicken and mashed potatoes. Having time of fellowship and prayer and talking about big issues which aren’t big compared to God. And getting to go visit a few of the women who still need to take that step of shutting the door to their window and never returning. “Next time come earlier so we can have some more time!” one of them exclaimed when I came to see her. Next time... the reality of it being merely a visit is so real, yet my heart is full again of such a love and passion, hoping that maybe my next visit be with her not in a window but somewhere else, hearing the testimony of how she left this chapter of her life. I am so thankful for the team that continues reaching out to these precious women. Because it’s not about me reaching out, it’s about the women being reached with love and dignity. About someone walking alongside them and giving them courage to hope that there is a way out, and that a life in dignity is possible, for them as well!

As I was going to sleep last night I realised that my heart felt so full. Full of God. Full of His heart. Full of thankfulness for giving me the gift of friendships with people at different places in their journeys.

The church bells are chiming as they do a few times an hour, and I am at peace. In a bit I’m off to have coffee with a friend. I am looking forward to the days ahead. Days of enjoying friends and the city and getting to just “be” in the moment and get my heart recharged with the familiar.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o