Skip to main content

Romania- so much hope filling my heart for this nation.

As I sit down to write this, I am at the little table in a rented flat in the centre of Bucharest, Romania. It’s quiet. Strangely quiet considering we’re in the centre of a huge city. My feet are propped up on a worn fake-leather puff thing, and as I check the time I realize that I have been in the country less than 24 hours... and yet my heart is overflowing with impressions and emotion for a nation I barely know.

It’s getting late, but I know I am too awake to sleep and so have made myself a cup of Earl Grey (with milk) and have sat down to try to capture at least a bit of what this day has been. As always, I write mostly for myself and the occasional other who desires to enter into the telling of my story.

Driving from the airport last night, and getting the first glimpse of the city and seeing majestic buildings lit up towards the night sky, filled me with expectation. A beautiful city filled with so much history. I came wondering. Wondering what this nation I knew from watching the horrifying news reports back in 1989 when the revolution happened would be like.

We started the day by taking the free walking tour of the city starting at the Unirii square. It was excellent! Our amazing guide was a well of information yet at the same time carried such a heart for his nation. There are so many things I could share from the tour... maybe I’ll write another anecdote with more of the facts at another point, but here are some of the “highlights”:
  • Moving churches- in communist times they started off destroying beautiful churches to make space for the apartment block and communist buildings. But then Ceausescu had an epiphany and decided to move them instead. So would  go to the effort of physically being able to move entire churches to new locations; one as much as 15 meters!! It’s almost too crazy to be true, but it is. And what was built in that church’s original location- an apartment block so that the church became “hidden” (although the people continued to attend so it really is only hidden from tourists).
  • The oldest church is really a church built on the oldest site of a church as it the first was destroyed in an earth quake, the second destroyed by fire, and now version number three stands in the spot.
  • Bucharest was started by a shepherd called Buca. He simply came shepherding his sheep and decided to settle in what became Bucharest.
  • Most of Bucharest is not old... but has been rebuilt. For instance the Old Town was built 5 years ago. And there are even some “old” ruins that were rebuilt because they wanted to have the ruins there. However a concrete roof on top of them kind of gives away that they are not really that old. 
I asked the guide what kind of relational culture the Romanian are (thinking of the more reserved Northern European vs. the very relational Latin cultures). He shared that before communism people shared in communities; in a village people didn’t own land but would farm the village land and then reap the produce. But after the “forced sharing” of communism people have embraced capitalism and it’s pretty much everyone for themselves. As our guide shared this a sadness came over him; as if there was a longing that things would be different and that there would be more community and value on relationships.

In the evening we had the privilege of visiting two projects in the city. One of them was with single mums from different situation. A beautiful project where they learn to stand on their own feet and provide for themselves and their children. I loved that the project looks at what they women like doing and are good at, and then help them get training and work in that area. My heart was so moved as one of the staff shared with such pride about some of the girls who were graduating from high school... such a small accomplishment in some peoples’ eyes, but a huge conquest for them.

The next project worked with girls rescued from trafficking... I was so moved. “We show them the love, mercy, grace and patience of God every day. When they ask us why we love them, we tell them that we are just giving what we have already received from God.” Amazing. And challenging. It is that simple (and yet so complex at the same time).

At several points my heart really impacted. Tears escaped my eyes as I heard about both the horrendous things that have happened, and the powerful moments of restoration in lives. I was deeply touched by the hearts of the staff as they shared the value of each girl and heart that they would receive the very best of care at all parts of their journey of restoration.

I was touched by their hope for more; the big dreams they carry,  and hearing that truly God entrusts more to those who are faithful with those He has given them... even when the more might be so unexpected.

And in the midst of doing something that should be honoured and recognised for what it is, encountering a deep humility and dependency on God- with the attitude of needing to learn more and lean more on Him.

Driving back in the taxi, whizzing in and out of traffic, I wondered how on earth I can take in more then I already have. It feels like my heart has been filled with a heart for this nation after just 24 hours here. And yet I know that there are another 5 days ahead...

I look back on this day and start to process some of the many impressions, the main thing that stands out is that there is so much hope for this nation. Sure, there are many challenges. The world has challenges. And yet there are people like the staff of these projects. The true heroes of this place and people who are pillars on which this nation can continue to overcome obstacles and be built up. People who are willing to take the most broken of girls and love them... and continue to love them... and continue to love them, no matter what.

And that is what hope looks like in Romania.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o