Skip to main content

Pink popcorn-ladies.

As I was filling in the registration card, and wondering how it would end up being typed into the computer, I glimpsed a lot of pink moving around in the area beyond the reception. The ceilings were elaborate and high, and people seemed focused and busy with the task at hand. The card was swapped for a wristband, which was fixed to my wrist with great efficiency. Then we were swiftly taken to sitting area in the middle of the bustle of activity. Not being told what would happen next, we sat there for a little, wondering “what now”. It was fascinating seeing pink ladies busy at work, and quite a few contentedly sitting around in little groups chattering away.

After a little while, I decided that it would be a good idea to enquire at the second reception-like counter in the middle of the area as to how to proceed. This turned out to be a wise decision, as the lady I spoke to quickly found one of the registration-card-and-wristband ladies who whisked us over to a couple of chairs, previously occupied by some of the less busy pink ladies, and suddenly there was fluster of activity around us. We were assigned two pink ladies each, but while they were preparing, another lady who was not in pink, came over with a tray of small glasses of water, wondering if we would like a little refreshment. Of course we accepted. It is always good to drink water when offered, and important to not get dehydrated (which was a possibility as we had no idea how long the pink ladies would take). 

While the pink ladies were still unpacking their different tools and textiles, the familiar smell of popcorn wafted over to where we were sitting. My immediate thought was that it must be some stray child who had accidentally ventured into pink-lady-land with some popcorn, or a shopping mall vendor who decided that it would be expedient to set up shop outside this establishment. I was wrong. The lady with the tray had swapped water with popcorn, and now very politely inquired if we would be interested in a mini popcorn box each. As it would of course potentially be seen as rude to decline, and because said popcorn smell had indeed reminded me that I was in fact a bit peckish, I accepted. At this point the pink ladies were nearly ready, so I ate the popcorn as quickly as possible, without seeming like someone who hadn’t eaten for a while. I knew that once they got to work, my hands would not be available to aid me in eating the popcorn. Shortly after the arrival of popcorn, fresh guava (or something orangy) juice was also served, which was consumed at the same speed as the popcorn for the same reasons.

Finally the pink ladies were ready, and they set to work. One of them expertly took my hands one at a time, and swiftly and efficiently did a lovely manicure, while the other one gave me a pedicure. There were some giggles from the ladies when I found it hard to sit still while having my feet scrubbed, but I told the pink lady to keep going. The discomfort was worth it. The ladies worked precisely and quickly. At times they would chatter a bit between themselves, but mostly they focused on their work. And I was quite happy to not have to have a long elaborate conversation. It was actually quite nice to just sit, not needing to do anything, yet knowing that at the end I would have beautiful nails as a result.

And then they were done. Pink pedicure lady helped me put my flip flops on my feet to avoid the fresh nail varnish from smearing, and pink manicure lady helped me get my card to pay so at so not ruin the varnish on my finger nails. We then went to our final stop on the pink lady adventure, which was back to registration-and-wristband-reception. Here the wristband was snipped off, the number entered the system (which I had observed my pink ladies registering in their smartphones), and voila payment could be made.

It was an adventure, and even if the whole ordeal only lasted an hour or two, the memory of it still brings a smile to my face and brings me joy. And I think the smell of popcorn will forever be associated with pink nail ladies.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o