Skip to main content

Can't sleep...

Can’t sleep. It’s almost 1 am, but I am wide-awake (written with my eyes wide open and no yawns in sight). I don’t know why. I had a cup of tea around 21h30, but that’s it. And honestly, I think my body is way beyond being affected by a cup of tea, taking into consideration the vast amounts of caffeine it’s been subjected to over the years.

I managed to connect with a couple of my very good friends in Fortaleza today, and I think my conversations with them are mulling around in my mind. It’s funny how as soon as I hear their voices I am transported back, and feel like I am right there with them. And it is funny how as they share about what is going on with people and situations I catch myself saying “we should do…” and “I think we…”

It’s good to hear good news. Hear of how the toughest youth prison I only made it into once is now asking us to come in and work regularly with them. Hear of how one of the coordinator in another prison became a Christian. Hear of how the boys on the farm are doing so well they can no longer be called street kids, and how one of them is planning to do DTS next year. Good to hear of how God is impacting lives in the community with the girls and prostitutes. It all touches my heart and brings such a longing to be back and be part of it.

And heartbreaking to hear that three of the kids, now adults, I have known for many years made it onto television because they killed a man. It’s a cruel world where people make very bad choices!

One or my friends told me Rachel just had another baby. When I saw her for the last time back in April, the thought crossed my mind that she might be pregnant, and I suppose I was right. James had come to the project to let them know. Apparently he was chubby, looking well, and saying he wasn’t using drugs anymore. They are still on the streets, but I choose to believe that all that has been invested will amount to something! I asked my friend to give them both a big hug from me when she sees them again. It makes me happy to hear that they are doing good, but also kind of desperate to hear of child number 5 seeing the light of day to this couple of 21 year olds who choose the streets to be their home. Especially knowing that the three boys who are still alive are in the care of social services (they had a daughter a few years ago who died only 5 days old).

Hearing news makes me feel so close and involved, yet almost even further away. I miss being there. I miss being able to be involved in lives. I miss “getting my hands dirty” as the saying goes. I am doing really well here at Grimerud and it is a blessing, but sometimes I get a bit restless and impatient. And so as I sit here feeling awake yet tired I feel tears fill my eyes once again. Tears of “saudade” (missing). Tears of sadness that I am no longer part of the ministry I still feel so connected to. Tears for the news that I heard which wasn’t as good, and tears for people and situations I worry about.

I suppose I should give sleep another shot. My room is too hot as my radiator got “fixed” on Friday, but can now not be turned down and so is spewing out masses of heat, which quickly fill a very small room (which mine is). The solution is having the window open which creates a strange cold-hot synergy and stuffy feeling.

But that’s life. And compared to the extreme situations that fill my mind, it’s not important. I mean, I’ll try to get someone to fix it, but right now I don’t really care.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o