Skip to main content

Walking, cream tea, and space (not outer space).


It’s been a while since I last wrote. Life has continued without huge happenings. I am settling into the “every-day” life of the base, and in myself. An every-day life which is very different from any “every-day” I’ve had before in my life. Different from Brazil of course, but also different from living at home and those years at university in Leeds (oh, so very very long ago…counting the number of years makes me feel a wee bit old, so I won’t count them…).

One thing I am learning to appreciate is going for long walks (actually I don’t go that far, but I walk for a good amount of time which I guess is what we mean when we say a “long walk”). Well, they might not be “long” for some of you, but for me going out walking for the sole purpose of walking isn’t something I really do much. For one, the years in Fortaleza kind of ruled out “going for walks” as “walking” in a crowded city centre sort of defeats the purpose when the aim of walking is to get some space and fresh air (trust me, there is no space and the air in Fortaleza is far from fresh). And secondly, in Sandnes, my home town, it rains- a lot, almost every day + I live on the top of a steep hill (which is very discouraging to walk up when you’re tired and it’s raining).

Here it’s quite different. I live literally in the middle of nowhere and fields and empty road are all around (there is even one field I walk past where there are cows lazing around looking like a commercial for Norwegian Freia milk chocolate- which is very tasty, the best in the world). I must admit that having an ipod and pulse-watch does help. Nothing like a bit of music on the ear, and a watch showing how many calories I have used walking and what my heart rate is, to motivate an indoor-person like myself. But it is nice to walk for the simple reason that there is fresh air and beautiful flowers (see photo). Now autumn has kicked in the flowers are disappearing and being replaced by the trees turning beautiful brown colours (I am getting really excited as it’s been many years since I was in a country in the autumn). Walking is good. It is good to exercise. And having that ingrown expectancy of rain, I manage to get myself out and about when the weather is nice “in case of rain tomorrow”.

So how is it really going Elisabeth (or Els) you might ask? What is it like being at an in-between-place in life; at the famous “crossroads”? Well, I’m not quite sure. Some days I just go with the flow and the day sort of goes. Other days I feel a bit rootless and restless, itching to get going on some new project and have a specific goal to work towards. At times I get a bit bored with the simplicity of the tasks I do here, yet often I catch myself being grateful that I am not set to do things which carry with them a large weight of responsibility. I know I am at the right place at the right time, but I don’t always know the specific purpose for which I am here. Confused? Join the club.

Yesterday I was really tired and feeling quite rough (as we so nicely put it in England). I had a free day and decided to have a cream tea for lunch with one of my friends, Eilen, here. We sort of ended up inviting our whole house to this cream tea (and everyone wanted to come which was lovely)- and so the impulsive idea grew into a bit of a bigger task than expected. Instead of making half a batch of scones, I ended up doubling the recipe to have sufficient for everyone (a perfect amount with a lonely half a scone left over which another friend Vicky had pity on and ate after a bit of pressure). It was a lovely cream tea and very tasty, especially accompanied by a nice cup of….exactly: Earl Grey tea.

After the excitement and completion of the scrumptious cream tea I decided to have a lie-down, and ended up sleeping for almost 3 hours…not like me at all! Woke up feeling quite dazed and after managing to muster up motivation I set out on my daily walk (the sky was clear and I was suited up with my ipod and pulse-watch). The plan wasn’t to walk too far (I was still not quite well), but I ended up walking for an hour and a half. There were so many things to think about and get sorted in my head, and it was lovely to be away from people (some of you might think I’m an extravert, but I am actually an introvert and hence need time alone to re-charge). Looking back over the past days they have been filled with one social event after the other (now this might sound a bit presumptuous, but by “social event” I mean occasion where I was being sociable with a large group of people). And so it wasn’t surprising that I was feeling a tad peopled-out.

Arriving back at HybelHuset the other girls were on their way off to watch the exciting European Championship qualifier between Norway and Greece in the café; a match promising to be a nail-biter with a great atmosphere (the match ended 2-2 for the especially interested, I have no clue how that leaves Norway in the whole qualifying business). I decided to chill a bit in a quiet and empty house instead of facing the masses. Sitting in my room having a quiet moment I chatted through with God how overwhelmed and also a bit trapped I have come to feel by little things. Sitting there I felt warm tears begin to flow down my face. Tired and overwhelmed the tears just came. I don’t quite know why I needed to cry, but I just did. And I felt like I was in a place where I could let go. Many tears weren’t cried when they needed to be cried over the years, so maybe I’m catching up on un-cried tears if there is such a thing. I don’t know, I simply know that things are a bit heavy and that small simple things are ending up being a bit much.

This morning the mission-office led the staff prayer meeting and we got an overview over the 100 missionaries sent out into the world by YWAM Norway. It was so encouraging and it made me really excited. Then they prayed for those of us who had ended our time in the field, and I felt so embraced and cared for and loved by the people here. It felt so ok to not know where the road goes next. It felt ok to be at the crossroads without direction. And it felt ok to just be. And that is what I need to remember when things overwhelm me. God is with me and being is enough. That might not make sense to you, but it does to me, and it is after all mostly for myself that I keep on writing. Writing as a way of processing, and writing so I don’t forget because I know that the mountains before me now will in a while be behind me as I walk forward into what the future holds.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o