Skip to main content

Swimming, cycling, and Romanian flower ladies.

The past two weeks have been a huge concoction of new and old experiences, which all kind of melt into me feeling like I’ve actually been here lot longer than two weeks. You know how sometimes you feel like you’ve known someone for ages, when really you’ve only just met them? In many ways that is how it feels here at Grimerud. Seeing the girls I share a house with everyday seems so normal, and the other people around don’t feel like people I’ve just met. It’s good because I feel like part of here rather than a visitor, but at the same time I feel a bit rootless, not quite knowing where to direct my energy and passion; being in a place where I don’t really have a set purpose and goal to work towards.

The days have been varied, but surprisingly non-hectic and non-busy. During the day I’ve been helping out with hospitality. It find it strange when people comment “oh, so you’re the hostess today”, because really I feel more like I’m helping out where needed. Last week there were many rooms to clean as a wedding was held at the base here. It’s a good way to get some extra income for the base, as well as a lovely place to be able to bless people with.

Work aside, I have found that although we are literally in the middle of the countryside, there are plenty of extracurricular activities to get stuck into. When we had the spell of nice days (which caught us all by surprise, and which we were sad to see come to an abrupt end with a hail-shower). I cycled to a huge lake just down the road and went swimming. The first time I must admit it was more to be able to say that I’d done it rather than for the joy of it. The water wasn’t warm, but also not too cold, and I could feel my feet the whole time. However, as I swam a bit outwards, there were gusts of cold water, which almost took my breath away, and so needless to say I didn’t linger in the water for too long. The second time I went swimming was actually more pleasant, and if I’d known the weather was about to turn, I might have made sure to enjoy it even more.

So there’s been a lot of cycling around. It is funny, because I associate Holland and Denmark with cycling, but here I have cycled more than ever before. On Wednesday a friend of mine and I took the trip to Hamar, one of the towns close by (and also one of the places where the 1994 Winter Olympics were held, so that obviously warmed my tourist-heart). We set off on our bikes full of energy and focus, and half-an-hour and a bit of rain later we arrived at the town centre. Our trip to town took a bit longer than we anticipated (setting off at a bit past 1 pm and only getting home around 6 pm), but looking back we did cover a lot of ground while we were there.

Apart from the obvious activity of shopping (can’t be around shops without doing that), we joined the library. It was actually really cool because this specific type of card enables you to borrow books at different libraries across the country (the ones that are part of the network). Dropping in to a shop selling sowing-machines to ask for directions, we ended up having a half-hour sales pitch from a man elaborating on the various types of machines and their pros and cons. It was quite interesting and I think he enjoyed being able to share his diverse knowledge on the subject with us.
Getting quite famished, and realizing that we would most certainly not make it back for dinner at 4:15 pm, we dropped in on one of the local kebab stores.

As we were devouring our scrumptious chicken kebabs, some ladies kept coming over with flowers. They were what I choose to call the "Romanian flower women". Observing them approaching people and not having much success, I felt a bit sorry for them, so the next lady who came over to me I tried to talk to. She gave me a lovely yellow flower and when I asked what it cost, she promptly whipped up a worn piece of laminated paper stating that she was seeking help for her son “Daniel” who was very ill with leukaemia. I tried to ask her if “Daniel” was her son, but she didn’t understand what I was saying, and both her English and Norwegian seemed non-existent. My heart went out to her, but I felt no peace to start giving her money, trying to ask her if I could pray didn’t really work, so I took her hand and asked for Jesus to bless her and help her. She seemed grateful and a wee bit confused, but was on her way. Seeing her go I felt kind of helpless. Not because I hadn’t bought her flower, but because I didn’t have any way of communicating with her and understanding her heart. Here at the base we have a girl who is from Romania who is going to do DTS in September, so my plan is to get her to teach me a few things in Romanian so I can at least have something to say to these women, who I no doubt will bump into (or them bump into me) next time I venture into town. It was an eye-opening experience nonetheless, and showed me that the Norwegian reality isn’t as picture perfect as it might seem from the outside.

Coming home I felt quite moved by the whole experience, although I don’t know if “moved” is the right word, I guess it might be more like challenged or unsettled maybe. It was good and showed me that I still have the same heart for people that I had in Brazil, even if I am no longer there.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o