Skip to main content

Heavenly Man and Snow.

Yesterday we had a very special visitor in the prayer room. Brother Yun, also known as the “Heavenly Man” was here sharing his heart with us. It was amazing to hear him live and know that he is the same man who supernaturally got out of the maximum prison, who suffered incredibly for Jesus, yet still stands strong with such a passion and zeal for God and a heart for the lost. It was such a privilege to be there, and it brought such joy to my missionary heart. The whole thing was filmed and I think a link is going to be put out on the IHOP website, so if you’re interested let me know and I’ll mail you the link once it’s available.

Apart from that I am really well. Well, today I’m feeling a bit rough. Got a nasty chesty cough and achy body, but I’m not dying or anything. It is a bit pants feeling like this on my first day of “school”, but that’s life.

Outside there’s lots of snow and a 100% chance of more snow according to the weather forecast (which in my mind means that there is definitely going to be snow). It’s amazing how the weather changes so quickly here. One moment there’s snow, ice, and freezing cold, the next all has melted and the sun is out and it’s almost warm. I didn’t really believe that the temperatures really changed so quickly (it can drop 20 degrees Celsius from morning to afternoon), but trust me they do. I am being challenged with the reality of Fahrenheit here, but found that on my wee phone I go there is an application called “converter” where I put in the Fahrenheit and am told what it is in Celsius.

Language is a fun thing. I am getting used to the different words used for things here as opposed to Britain. When I arrived I had my first little language confusion as my housemate asked me if I had towels, and I said I had a towel and a flannel. Now, I didn’t know that “flannel” in the USA means pillowcase, and “washcloth” means flannel. No wonder she was a bit puzzled by me telling her I had a “pillowcase” when she was asking me about towels. Yesterday I helped put out the trash (rubbish) and I get rides (lifts) from the apartment (flat) to the prayer room, which is located near a gas station (petrol station). I do notice that I am quieter than usual especially with people I don’t know, as I am a bit self-conscious about my British accent. It’s silly, I know, but I hope that once I get going with my course and used to speaking to people it’ll get better.

So there you go. Today I start “school” or rather my course, which will take me till the end of my time here. It’ll be a change to go from absolutely no schedule at all (apart from timing my coming home to coincide with daylight) to have probably what will turn out to be quite a busy schedule. But I feel ready for it. Ready to learn more and grow closer to God as a result. I just hope I can get there through the 100% snow, which keeps falling softly from the sky.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o