Skip to main content

The routine of life in a nutshell (I never quite understood why it's in a nutshell).

I'm sat here at the coffee shop "Higher Grounds" here at the IHOP-KC Missions Base. This is my regular routine, I mean obviously not writing my blog as I sit here, but coming here for a cup of tea in the morning. From my first weeks of having no routine whatsoever, life has come to take on a daily rythm which pretty much stays the same. I usually get up a bit before 5 am (now, don't start thinking I've suddenly become some super-human who can survive on minimal sleep, I do get to bed earlier also!). Yes, I rise and shine before the sun appears, and I leave around 5:45 am to go to the prayer room, getting a lift (or ride as they call it here) with one of the people in my house. I know I should take every opportunity to walk and get in some much needed exercise, but -13 degrees Celsius joined with ice and wind makes me quite happy to sit for 5 minutes in a warm car instead of trapsing for 25 minutes in the freezing cold (I am sure you agree!).
I hang out at the prayer room till I head off for class around 11:45 am. Hanging out meaning that sometimes I join in with the worship, prayer, Bible meditation stuff. Sometimes I read, and when I can be bothered I'll take my laptop with me and do internet stuff (this is rare coz it's just a hassle to lob my laptop around. Seeing lots of small, white, cute macs everywhere makes my laptop look humongous!). I know I'm going for small and cute next time I get one (which is hopefully years from now). And in the midst of this when I get a bit chilly or feel sleepy, I pop over here to the coffee shop for a much appreciated cup of tea (Earl Grey of course, in case you were wondering and couldn't guess).
Class is 12-3 pm (or 15:00 as we write in Norway). Sometimes less is more as the saying goes, and for me 3 hours of teaching is exactly the right amount of information to take in and process and appreciate each day. We just finished 10 days of teaching on a small book in the Bible called "Song of Songs", and I was blown away by seeing just how passionate God is about us and how much He loves us even in our weakness and imperfection! After class I head back to the prayer room and usually stick around till about 6 pm (sometimes I stretch it till 6:30 pm, but then it is probably technically dark, so I should try to leave before that). Wrapping my long brown H&M scarf around my neck, I set off on to face the cold and the long walk home (which isn't really that long), and often some blessed person will have pity on me and give me a lift.
Well, I don't actually go home, I head to the Justice Prayer Room which is a second prayer room only 2 minutes from where I live (ergo, I am not limited by the dark to go home). It's got a lovely atmosphere and is "rougher" and less "slick" than the main prayer room we refer to as the GPR (Global Prayer Room). The GPR is very well done, the sound and worship teams flow well, lighting is good, the set up is great, and you have screens with words on, and of course cameras as it is all filmed and webstreamed. The JPR (Justice Prayer Room) is kind of how the GPR was in the beginning (I hope you're not getting too confused). It's good, but you know it's a place for people to try out being in worship teams and leading prayers. And naturally it's smaller and there are less people there.
But I love coming there and hanging out in a less busy atmosphere (now, if you've never been to IHOP-KC or seen the webstream, all of this will probably go over your head, but it's good and different I think is the bottom line). Anyhow, I hang out there for however long, and then I go home, chat to my housemates for a while and eat something, and then I try (note: try) to be in bed by 9:30 pm (easier said then done).
And so that is my routine, which is different at weekends, and also Fridays, and yesterday also because I went to the "Cheesecake Factory" for a friend's birthday. As always the exeptions sometimes outnumber the regular. But there you go. A glimpse into life as a "Commission" intern (the name of the course I'm doing here for 3 months).
Oh, and I'm totally healthy (note: I believe the word "totally" is more frequently used in this country, and I think I have adopted it into my vocabulary. I will need a bit languague "detox" when I get home). Lots of people around me are having the flu and colds, but I think that getting over mine has made me immune to getting it again (that is how it works, right?).
Well, this was acutally handwritten and typed up on a communal computer here at the coffee shop, so in respect of others who want to use the computer, I shall draw things to an end here. Life is good and I am excited to be here!

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o