Skip to main content

Sickness and Excitement.

What started off as feeling a big rough on Wednesday morning actually became worse, and I ended up kind of going through the orientation of the course in a bit of a daze and then going home and sleeping all afternoon and night. Today I am just about well, but the whole weekend was spent coughing with a sore throat and feeling generally a bit under the weather. It’s interesting as I realized in the midst of feeling like this that I haven’t really had the flu for years. I can’t remember the last time I was coughing and feeling achy in my body and having a really sore throat (well the throat and diminished speaking ability I do remember from Christmas). I don’t know if it was good or not to be reminded, but when it was to be the way it was it is always good to look for something positive in it all.

On Sunday I really wanted to write because I was so excited! But when I started writing I realized that my thoughts were a jumble and they didn’t make sense even to me (well in my head they did, but when I tried to put “pen to paper” or “fingers to the keyboard” it wasn’t quite as clear). Sunday really blessed my heart! I hear you asking: “go on then, what was it that made you so excited?”…I’ll get there, don’t worry. Well, I have a real heart to figure out how what we have here at IHOP-KC can be combined with the missionary work with YWAM and just thinking that in an ideal world the two could be combined to a perfect balance of doing the intercession part and also the “doing” part. At church on Sunday they gave a report from a, I guess you can call it “historic”, meeting that took place in Orlando at the end of the month where all the major missions organisations and all the major prayer movements worldwide met together and committed themselves to stand with each other. Of course YWAM and IHOP-KC were a part of this. It was so exciting to hear and really see that what seems to be two different movements, are really one.

My flatmate Leah went on an outreach to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and Sunday evening was a testimonies/potluck (a potluck is when everyone brings a dish of food and then it’s shared, like a shared meal). Apart from lots of scrumptious food (which is always nice). It was so incredibly encouraging to hear what God had done through the team there, and how they’d managed to combine keeping a 24/7 prayer room going as well as doing the evangelism. Also here they were working alongside other groups, YWAM being one of them. And what everyone felt was that it was notably different, in a good way, to do evangelism with the prayer cover. I didn’t go, but prayed for them from here, and it was so exciting to hear what I had been a part of!

Yes, it makes me really excited and expectant to find out how I fit into all of this. And I am grateful for these encouraging “drips” as I am here to get to know God better and not necessarily go into “ministry” at the moment, but God knows my heart and it’s so cool to connect to His heart!

The course? Oh yes, the course. Well, “IHOP-KC Commission” as it is very eloquently called, is going well. We are studying “Song of Solomon” and I am getting so many new revelations of God’s love and heart for us! It’s great!! I look forward to each day.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o