Skip to main content

Home for Christmas...

I realise I haven’t written since Kansas City. The good news is it isn’t coz I got stuck for days at an airport because of the snow chaos we’ve had in Europe the last week or so. I arrived last week Tuesday to a grey and rainy afternoon. The snow arrived the next day and has stayed since. It’s nice to have a white Christmas, especially when you can have a fire lit in the fireplace and plenty of blankets to keep warm.

It was lovely to see family again. The children have grown so much and wee Julie (my youngest niece) is beautiful. It’s great that she lives upstairs so I get to see her a lot. And I had a lovely evening baking vegan gingerbread cookies with friends.

I am so thankful for family and friends!

Adjusting and being back in Norway has had its ups and downs. Lots of jetlag (when it’s 2 am and you’re wide awake, I think you can define it as jetlag). It was slightly adjusted when I had an early morning dentist appointment, but I’m still getting to sleep really late. So much for the morning person doing 6 am starts back in KC. I am now a night owl. I imagine it’ll adjust itself once normality hits... whatever that will look like.

I am thankful to be able to sleep and not be rushing around and being so busy. Holiday is supposed to be restful.

Culture-shock. I guess it’s unavoidable really. When you uproot from one “home” and have to resettle somewhere else, there are adjustments to be done. But my question is: is it culture shock or reverse-culture shock I’m facing? I don’t really know where I feel most at home anymore, but I am feeling the culture shock whatever type it might be. Missing Kansas City and the knowing that I am part of something and have a “day-to-day” to go back to when Christmas is over. Miss having something I am “doing”... and find it hard not knowing what lies ahead. I have had some “brave” moment feeling full of faith and trust and even excitement. But also some “lower” moments in tears, worrying and feeling very alone and lost. It truly is a journey, and Jesus never said it would be easy. But it’s my journey with Him, and I keep reminding myself of how I’ve chosen this path and I’ve come this far, and I know He is faithful to continue to be my Shepherd and Guide and Friend, the One who is always with me wherever I go and end up. So when the waves of culture-shock hit me...I just let them flood over me, knowing that it’ll pass. It always does, and it will get easier with time.

I am thankful that I can be on a journey with Jesus, who is my Shepherd and Friend.

Christmas. Today is the day before Christmas. I’ve got my presents bought. Shopping was overwhelming this year. What do you get people who have most things? It’s so easy to feel the pressure of not having bought enough or something expensive enough. The truth is that it is the heart behind the gift that counts, and at the end of the day Christmas isn’t about the presents we receive or give, it’s about Jesus coming to earth.

I am thankful the preparations for Christmas are done and now it’s all about enjoying family and celebrating Jesus.

Start of January I’m off to the YWAM base for the national staff conference. I got a few emails this week about it, and suddenly it dawned on me that there’ll be lots of people I don’t know and a setting I’m no longer familiar with. It’s a bit daunting. Big gatherings overwhelm me. But I am also glad to be able to see some people I know and talk to them and the Lord about the way forward and hopefully get some more clarity on where this journey I’m on is going.

I am thankful the YWAM base has a prayer room 24/7 I can go (or “retreat”) to.

That’s it for now. It’s late and tomorrow is Christmas Eve (the day we celebrate on here in Norway).

I think it’s going to be a lovely Christmas.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o