Skip to main content

Nearing the end and trying to wrap things up.

I had great aspirations of writing through the leaving process similar to when I left Fortaleza, but it just hasn’t happened. Time has gone by really quickly, yet there have been moments of feeling like it’s been slow motion. It’s the strange dynamic of transition which I’ll never get used to.

I think I’ve known and realised that I’m actually leaving for good, not just on holiday, but really moving for a while. I started “packing” on Sunday...4 bags and a box lighter and later, I am still having to choose things to get rid off to accommodate the 2 bags of 50 pounds each limit I have on the plane. Plus my hand luggage of course, which I have a strong suspicion will be a tad heavier and fuller than usual.

Reality has started to hit home...yesterday as I sat in the prayer room I was flooded with emotion. It is sad to be leaving. Yes, there is excitement that there’s something new ahead, but right now it’s quite sad. And that’s ok. And on top of the managing the emotions of leaving, there’s also the practicalities that have to be done. Today I’ve spent most of my day waiting for the guy buying my car... and now things are rescheduled till tomorrow. And I just feel overwhelmed. It’s been hard to figure out how things work here (and I still don’t understand a lot of things), but there’s also the fact that things take time. And you can’t rely on people doing things when they say they will. And it stresses me out. Even if part of me wants to be “calm and unfazed”, right now I’m not. But tomorrow it is, and it means there’ll be last minute stuff to do on Monday I had hoped to avoid, and I don’t even know if I’ll get it done. So much to think about and remember. Part of me wants to get this leaving thing done right, the other part just thinks “oh well, I’m doing my best...” It’s not easy moving, let alone moving countries.

That’s a glimpse of transition and moving for you.

It’s never easy to do this process alone, and it has a way of bringing up all my insecurities and pushes all my buttons.

Oh well, I’m going to go make myself a cup of Earl Grey now and try to calm down and have a good evening at Hope City, and hopefully not dwell on how everything is going to come together before I leave, which is still Monday.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o