Skip to main content

A lovely evening and cold day full of peace.

Last night at Hope City I felt so loved and like I really am part of a family here...which I am leaving shortly. Anyways, I got prayed for and I got hugs and kind words from people. It was a good choice to head down there. I love the loving presence of God at Hope City and I love how the people there love so well! What a privilege to have been a part of it! And it’s funny how sometimes when you get out of your own little “world” and get things into perspective, the mountains and things that overwhelm you don’t seem so overwhelming anymore. I was thinking yesterday about Hebrews 12 and how it talks about “laying aside every weight and fixing our eyes on Jesus”. Moving is a weight and I don’t want to be weighed down, but want to let Him carry the burden and choose to fix my eyes on Jesus.

This morning I got up kind of bright and quite early. I headed out and took the licence plates off my Golden Chariot (car) because it’s getting sold today. Mid-way through unscrewing the plates I realized it’s actually quite cold out today as my hands were starting to hurt from the freezing wind. The weather was really mild yesterday so this was a bit of a shock.

Mid-day the guy from the junk yard came and got the car. It was a quick transaction, which was good coz it was still freezing outside. Yet another thing ticked off my list...a to-do list which will only be done when I leave (and then I can start another one for when I get home). I popped to the prayer room a couple of times today which was a nice break from sorting and packing and getting ready to move. It’s quite funny. Here I am, car-less again, temperature well below freezing (this evening the wind chill was -19 Celsius), and end up walking back and forth to the prayer room multiple times.

Feeling less weighed down. Anticipating the arrival of my departure day, and don’t quite know what to do with myself. Life goes on. It always continues, even when life won’t continue here for me, it still continues for other people. The whole dynamic of final days is strange. The dynamic where you end up saying goodbye several times to the same people because you keep seeing them and don’t want to not say goodbye, and then there’s the people you don’t see and end up leave without really saying goodbye to. And then there’s the whole being a part, yet not anymore and how that all fits.

It guess the key in the midst of everything is still “fix your eyes on Jesus”.

It’s been a cold, but good day. Tomorrow is my last day here. Apparently it’s going to be even colder (I’m hoping the Missouri “if you don’t like the weather, just wait and hour and it’ll change” will kick in with warmer weather soon), but I intend to make it a good day even so.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o