Skip to main content

Glimpses: Beach, boiling canal, and biking.


I always end up sitting down to try to encapsulate a plethora of experiences in one little blog post. I guess it’s the consequence of not writing as I go along (which I really should get better at).

A trip to the beach.

The past weeks we’ve had some beautiful hot spells with warm weather, blazing sunshine- in fact, the perfect weather to go to the beach. Last week we rearranged our schedule on popped to Zandfoort, one of the “local” beaches only oh, maybe 30 minutes on the train from Amsterdam.

Now remember I am used to Norwegian beaches (beautiful sandy beaches with just a few people here and there, if any) and Brazilian beaches (beautiful wide sandy beaches usually with a vast amount of people). In my Norwegianness I kind of figured a Dutch beach would be more similar to the Norwegian version, and I must admit that as we were cramped into the train with hundreds of other people who had also thought of the good idea of going to the beach, I was a tad worried, wondering where we would all fit.

The train arrived and we shuffled with the multitudes off the train and up the stairs in direction of the beach. (In my mind I was still trying to figure out where all the people would fit) After a quick stop at the supermarket to get some snacks we went in direction of the beach. A friend was already there at number 19 (which made me very puzzled as I had no idea how we would find this “number 19”, thankfully my other friends had been there before).

As we got to the top of the beach (you kind of had to walk down a little hill to get onto it) I was amazed. In front of me I saw to my great surprise a beach that looked a lot more like a Brazilian beach. A wide, sandy beach full of people, parasols, sun chairs, little restaurants along the top of it and people enjoying the beautiful day. Oh, how at home I felt. I quickly removed my havaianas and stepped into the soft sand. It was amazing. We walked along (and I discovered that “19” meant section 19) a few sections at the waterfront it was so lovely to see young and old enjoying a day on the beach. Children playing in the water, teenagers playing football, many people swimming and enjoying the sea. And of course the sea! I love the sea. It’s so majestic and powerful and I am constantly in awe of how amazing it is that this vast mass of water comes up to a certain point of the beach and no further. Only God to design it that way.

We found our friends and I got in a good few hours in the sun. I even went paddling and the water wasn’t too bad (a tad cold to swim, but others clearly didn’t feel the same way as many were swimming along). And there were lots and lots of the most beautiful seashells of which I picked a handful to take home to my nieces. It was a great afternoon. And again I realize I was created for warmer climates and that it’s nice to have a tan.

Boiling canal.

As in Kansas City, the weather goes from one extreme to the other. One day we have blazing sunshine, the next pouring rain and lower temperatures. Or, like today and yesterday, blazing sunshine one moment, and then a sudden shift to pouring rain (I got completely soaked riding my bike yesterday, soaked to the point where there was no point “trying” to stay dry).

However, on Wednesday I saw something I’ve never seen in my life before. It was raining very very hard and since we’re 3 meters below sea level the water doesn’t really have anywhere to go. This leads to our basements getting flooded. Not because the canal outside our house transcends its borders, but because the pressure of the water on the foundation of the houses is so much that the water is pressed through the bricks and the wall (it is a strange phenomenon).

Anyway, Wednesday it was looking ominous and the guy who manages the building was very concerned when it started to rain. And then he told us we would probably flood coz the canal was “boiling”. It’s the strangest thing when a canal “boils”. I think the masses of water are so great the air is pressed to the surface, hence creating a “boiling” effect. It was strange standing outside my house seeing the canal bubbling away, praying we would not flood (it was so unpleasant last time to be removing a mixture of canal water, rain water, and unmentionable water, and when it is coming through the wall there really is no way of blocking the source).

Well, the end of the story is we didn’t flood in the end. The rain subsided and we ended up having a great evening of ladies ministry (where I yet again got to struggle through conversations in my “portanhol” which is a spanified Portuguese). But it was good. I still wonder though, what happenes when it rains so much that the canals overflow… what will we do then?

Biking.

Well, I don’t know if I’ve yet blogged about my bike which I call my “brown blessing”. It’s a very old bike which is more of a mix of brown, red spray paint, and orange rust in color. And it’s missing a screw in the front so when I ride it makes a scrangling noise. I have a bright orange bell on it which has the loveliest little ring, and makes it feel a little less rude to ring when people are in my way (often I just slow down and wait for an opportunity to pass them, which is very not the Dutch way). So after my initial months of really being quite content without a bike, I have now very much got a hang of the whole “biking in Amsterdam”. And let’s face it, with  thousands of tourist newbies on bikes, I’m not the most dangerous person on the road.

But I must say that my theory that I would not end up with more time by biking instead of walking has proven to be correct. It seems that life has gotten a little bit more hectic since I’ve become more mobile, and I find that I think I have more time then I do and then have to rush (or rather, bike a bit faster) to make it places on time.

So there you go. Some small glimpses of doing life in Amsterdam.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o