Skip to main content

The uplifting of thankfulness.


Trying to settle into a new country and culture is complicated. It’s very different from visiting, where all things new are (mostly) an exciting adventure. Living and settling is an invitation to not just be an observer of the culture and ways from the outside, but to embrace it and become part of what others observe when they are visiting.

But it’s complicated. And it takes time to navigate. How do you embrace a culture that functions so differently from your own, while not loosing yourself? How you navigate not letting the struggles overshadow all the treasure each culture carries within them?

How do you remain thankful, when everything within you is feeling overwhelmed by yet another wave of culture shock, leaving you feeling a bit like you were literally washed up on the sand by a giant wave?

This month marked 6 months of living in Amsterdam. I guess we all hit moments of reflection in our journeys. I don’t know if I hit one of those moments, or if I am reflecting as a result of being overwhelmed.

On Sunday I was strolling around the city as I do. It was a beautiful day and the streets and parks were full of tourists and locals (sometimes I wonder where all the people come from as there are people everywhere). And yet walking around (not going anywhere in particular) I felt so completely alone in the world. It crept in on me and just hit me, and as I watched families, friends, couples, random collections of people, their togetherness seemed to amplify my aloneness. And I was faced with a choice: either I could choose to remain in that place of feeling alone; or I could go the route of thankfulness.

I chose thankfulness.

I started thanking God for the simple things, like a nice sunny day, a beautiful city to walk around in, for a free day. And even if I still felt quite alone at first, as I kept thanking Him, it was as it something shifted in my perspective. And I found the things that before had emphasized my feeling alone, were now springboards to gratitude. Needless to say it became a really good day.

Even if my circumstances haven’t changed, and the expectation that by now I’d surely be settled in the city with the language figured out and a network of people around me hasn’t been met, my heart is more at peace. I know more Dutch than I did 6 months ago, and my online course which I do on and off when I have a moment, it definitely extending my vocabulary. However speaking and understanding when it is spoken is a bit more tricky. But still there is progression, and I was very excited the other day when I had a whole (small) conversation in a shop in Dutch without having to resort to English. And connecting with people just takes time, and I am so grateful for the ones I do know and can spend time with.

So I am thankful. Thankful for the revelation that gratitude is a vehicle to peace and perspective.

I just finished some apple pie and am in the process of drinking a delicious cup of Earl Grey tea. As always, airports are the best place to blog, and I am waiting for my flight home to Norway for an extra long weekend. I am ready for some time in familiar surroundings in a culture I understand better. And yet at the same time, I am glad to be on the journey of discovering the treasures of the Dutch culture as I continue to live and work in the beautiful city of Amsterdam.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o