Skip to main content

Pursuing joy and living to the full.

It’s well into a new year. Outside the rain is pouring down, creating patters of water flowing down on the windows. It’s nice to be inside.

I was thinking about this year ahead. Last year had many ups and a lot of challenges, and my constant question was: “where is life?” I don’t think we’re meant to live without challenges or problems or even crises; but in the midst of whatever we are going through, I believe there is life to be found. I believe we were created for more than just surviving the next storm. We were created to live.

 And so as I look at this year ahead, which promises many challenges and changes and unknowns, I want to start off knowing what brings me joy and seeking it out even when the storms are raging.

Joy isn’t the same as happiness. Happiness is a temporary state of feeling “up”. Joy is so much deeper. Joy can be found at the deepest pit. Joy isn’t circumstantial... in my opinion anyway.

Wanting to live fully. Wanting to be alive every day and not just wait to get through to another season when it’ll be “easier”. Wanting today to be a day that counts.

And so I was thinking about what things give me life. How can I practically posture my life and my time to be more alive and live more fully?

I know it’s a popular time of year to make New Year resolutions, but I think I just want to make a list of things I enjoy and resolve to do them more... and maybe at the end of the year discover that I lived more in 2014 and consequently loved more from that place. The Bible says to “love others as you love yourself.” How can I take care of myself and love myself this year? (Not at the expense of loving others, but to fill me up to love other even more!)

So here’s my list. My list in the pursuit of more life and joy. It might seem simplistic and it’s definitely incomplete. But maybe, just maybe by starting simple it’ll launch me into discovering more that can bring life, not just to me but to others as well.

v  Read more books (I signed up for a 52 books in a year challenge with Goodreads and am loving it so far). I love reading and haven’t done it enough recently.
v  Take more moments to savour sitting down with a cup of Earl Grey and do only that.
v  Pay attention when I am walking outside and notice my surroundings but also the people I pass by.
v  Cook more and enjoy the process.
v  Say “no” to more things and not get caught up in other people’s urgencies.
v  Take the “not important and not urgent” items off my to-do list.
v  Choose to not allow busyness and stress mean the same thing, but walk from a place of rest when things are busy.
v  Not focus so much on the mountain of “to-dos” but on the one thing I am doing, and seek to make it enjoyable.
v  Keep my schedule less packed and have time for the unexpected.
v  Not worry so much, but trust that God really is in control. He always is!
v  Always look on the bright side of life (as good old Monty Python so eloquently put it).
v  Intentionally encourage someone as often as I can.
v  Be thankful. It’s funny how when you start being thankful for the mundane things, your heart and eyes get opened to how incredibly blessed you really are.
v  Complain less. My mum always said: “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it.”
v  Choose to enjoy exercise (and find ways to make it more enjoyable) because the time spent taking care of my body ultimately will give me more energy to do other things.
v  Procrastinate less. Make “why do tomorrow what you can get done today?” my new motto.
v  Spend less time churning things over and over, and more time talking to God about them and leaving them with Him.
v  Try new things.
v  Always have fresh flowers in my home (wherever that is at that time). Just because they are so beautiful.
v  Search for beauty.

And seek to find life and joy in the journey, whatever season I am in. I think it might get challenging at times, but I think there will always be something I can see which reflects life because God is always present, and He is life.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o