Skip to main content

I know Jesus walked on water...

For those of you who think that Brazil is the place where the sun always shines. Well, you are wrong! This past week it's literally been chucking it down almost every day. And not just outside. Due to some problem with the rooftiles (I think, but I gladly confess I am no expert on construction) we also have rain inside. The front house where the project functions gets flooded every time it rains. The other day I was in the kitchen when I heard a sound which was a bit like a shower being turned on. Knowing that there was no-one else around, I went to investigate where the sound was coming from. To my great surprise I found that in the reception area of the house the light-fixture in the ceiling had been turned into a "natural" shower, and water was pouring out of it, consequently flooding all the floors (rinsing away any dirt that once was on them). I quickly and coragously (although I didn't really consider the risk) switched off the light, and did so without getting and electric shock. I must admit that I am hoping we can get it fixed soon, as noticing warm water coming out of plug-sockets in the wall is a bit disturbing.

And as if that wasn't enough, outside, where it actually rains from the sky, the water doesn't manage to drain away, and the only way to get from one place to another is to wade through rivers of water. I mean, I know Jesus walked on water and all that, but this really makes me wonder what's next...

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o