Skip to main content

The end of yet another chapter.

I am sat here at the airport in Oslo writing this. My fingers are quite cold as I am sat in a chair next to a gate, and the passengers are in the process of boarding the flight (not my flight). The open door lets in gushes of cold winter wind, which together with the white runways I can see through the window beside, me remind me of the fact it is still winter (not that I’d forgotten, having survived –10 degrees Celsius the past few days).

Sat here it is sinking in that I have now come to the end of another chapter in my life. I have now moved out of my room at Grimerud, and have managed to get (almost) all of my belongings into my suitcase which is probably somewhere in the airport, waiting wherever they store luggage which is to be put on the planes. Packing up my stuff and clearing out my room, I realized once again that I really do not like packing very much. And I also started reflecting on the fact that I always, no matter where I’m heading or how long it is for, manage to have just a bit more luggage than luggage space. It’s a weird phenomenon. This time it was ok though, as I could store a few bits and bobs in an empty cupboard, and will bring them with me when I go back up to Grimerud at the beginning of January for the staff conference.

It’s been quite a strange week. A week of saying goodbyes, yet not the “I’m never going to see you again” type, because I’ll see most of the people again in January, but the “you’re not going to be part of us in the day to day anymore” kind of goodbyes. It has been a week of appreciating people and really being grateful for knowing them. And it’s been a week of being overwhelmed again and again by peoples’ encouragements and appreciation. On Tuesday I was “sent out” at the staff meeting, and it was so nice to feel like I am part of Grimerud, and even leaving, I am still connected. The girls in my house have been so amazing (not just this week of course), and I have felt so loved by them. It almost feels like they’re family. They are an amazing bunch of Godly women who are so full of life and energy and care. I thank God for them, and can see God in every one of them.

In addition to that (it seems amazing that there was actually time to squeeze more things into the week) I was translating for the DTS, which has been a real treat. They are also a great bunch of people and it’s been so nice to connect a bit with them too.

So, sat here at the airport I find myself having time to reflect a bit and prepare myself for moving on. Prepare myself for the preparation time that lies ahead (nicely joined with Christmas which I am very excited to be in Norway for!!!), and think about all I have learned about myself, life, God, and people the past 4 months at Grimerud. Although the pondering continues, I think that the short summary is that I have been so fortunate. It has been a privilege, and I will carry this time as time of living in blessing after blessing after blessing.

The journey continues…. literally in an hour and a half by plane going home…. and symbolically in that I am on a life-journey that only God knows all the details of.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o