Skip to main content

Soon "on the road" again...

And then I was getting close to change again. I was hoping that maybe a lot of change in quick succession would make the experience of being rooted up yet again a bit less tough, but it seems like that isn’t the case. I do have peace though. Peace about what lies ahead, and peace about the steps forward.

My time here at Grimerud is rapidly drawing to a close. In a mere 9 days I get on the plane, this time to move back home to my parents house for a while. I have loved it so much here at Grimerud. It feels like a home of sorts. My small, but more than sufficient room, has become the familiar, and the girls I share a house with have become like sisters. I will miss the fellowship, friendship, fun times, and numerous cups of tea (Earl Grey of course).

And so the journey commences again, although being here was by no means a time of standing still. More a time of being in one location, yet moving on a different level.

This time I am being taken back to IHOP-KC in Kansas City (my flight leaves on the 23rd January). It’s strange. As I wrote when I was visiting there in October; the USA has never been a place I dreamed of going. I don’t know if it even is now (although I guess having been there, it wouldn’t quite fall into the category of places “to visit”). But there is something about IHOP-KC which tugs at my heart. I am quite sure it’s God.

The flight is now bought (even after a few minor hiccups in the process), and I am on the case to find somewhere to live. I am trying to not think too much about the “to come”, although my thoughts do tend to wander. I wonder what it’ll be like to be there on my own. I wonder how I will manage to organise myself practically. I wonder what God is wanting to say and do. I wonder about so many little details, I sometimes wish I was less of a detail person. I think it would be so much easier if I could have the big picture, big vision type of mind. Then I wouldn’t get so hung up in the little things, which tend to sort themselves out without external help anyway. Still, I am who I am, and so I seek to entrust to God the little details and the things which weigh on my mind. I know He doesn’t mind, although I am sure He wishes for me to not have to use so much energy giving things to Him. And so do I. I want to grasp what it means to rest in God and “sleep with my head on a pillow in the boat while the storm is raging”, knowing that “we will get to the other side”.

At the same time as my mind wanders towards the “to be”, my heart keeps getting reminded of the “has been”. These past days I keep remembering the kids in Fortaleza. I have photos of a small representation of them on my wall, and find that I am still “rooting” for them, asking God to care for them.

Yet in the midst of this, I also need to be in the “now”. I don’t want to miss out on opportunities to have quality time with people here who have embraced me so warmly to become part of their fellowship. I don’t want to miss out on opportunities to be a blessing, even in the short while I still have left.
And so with a wee bit (or maybe a lot) of confusion in my head and my heart I try to find my way. And as I journey I am so grateful that I am not alone. It really makes all the difference to know that God walks ahead of me, and is beside me every step of the way. And it is after all He who gives me life, and I want to honour Him by being me in this journey I am on.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o