Skip to main content

Speech-less.

If you want to loose your voice completely, I recommend you go to a high school reunion with an already sore throat. Strain your voice for 4 hours as you try to have conversations while competing with the noise (sound or music to some ears) of a hip-hop concert and it’s crowd, and voila, no voice. It’s works. I tried it. Woke up the morning after and my voice was gone. I must admit it was pretty croaky at the end of the evening, but nothing a good night’s sleep wouldn’t take care of…I thought.

I was wrong. I ended up spending the 23rd, 24th, and 25th of December silent. It was a frustrating, but also slightly enlightening experience. Frustrating for obvious reasons like not being able to communicate, having to merely listen to conversations I’d have like to be a part of, and getting very tired from trying to utter the few words I did utter as a matter of necessity. I also noticed that when the ability to speak is gone (well, not completely as I was able to say the absolutely necessary in a faint, hoarse whisper), words are chosen with great care. And I’d think it through for a long time before attempting to say something. Mindless chitchat was not a priority.

I was also surprised at how I felt my personality also changed, maybe not changed, but was restricted. I turned into a very silent and quiet person, and not being able to be myself was also a challenge.

I wish I could say I discovered a remedy for speedy recovery, but I didn’t. I ate some vitamin C I found in the cupboard (one of those round fizzy tablet things you dissolve in water and drink; it didn’t taste as bad as I expected it to, more like water with a bit of citrus in it), drank orange juice, and tried honey (I had hot milk with honey, bread with honey, and even spoonfuls of honey on it’s own). Maybe these things helped, but I think what did more was rest (i.e. resting my voice and not speaking).

Now that my voice is back I am very grateful, but I do hope I can take with me the realization of how many unnecessary words are actually spoken, and that sometimes less is more. A few well-chosen words often do make more of an impact then many words.

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the 17th of May. But for any Norwegian, this particular date isn't like any other date in the year, it's the 4th of July of Norway. And this year I am actually here. However, some preparations had to be done to get ready for tomorrow. One was getting my national costume down from the loft. I got it a few days ago and tried it on. It's a wee bit tight, but I think it'll be fine. This evening I ironed (or rather started ironing) the blouse which is hand embroydered and made of linnen (so those of you who have a clue about fabrics, know that linnen is the opposite of no-crease material). And the second part of the preparation was polishing the silver. I tried the "foil-in-hot-water-with-salt" method, but I don't think it worked too well. I did a bit of polishing with toothpaste after that and it looks alright. At the end of the day I'm the only one who will notice the level of polishedness of my silver. I have also got my camera on charging re...

On the move again...

As I walked wheeling the trolley containing two suitcases and a rucksack (belonging to my middle brother who has bought himself a new one) I felt tears stinging in my eyes and threatening to push their way out. I suddenly felt so very small and the airport so very big. I’d got off my 45 minute flight from Sola to Oslo, got my bags from the baggage claim (the airline I flew with lets you decide how many bags of luggage you want to take against a small fee, and so I was able to bring not one suitcase weighing 20 kilos, but a suitcase and a rucksack), bought my train ticket for the last leg of my journey, and was walking along in search of a cup of coffee and a waffle to kill the half hour till the train. Walking along I caught myself thinking about this new stage in life. I wondered why this move up to the YWAM base here in Norway seemed so huge, when moving to Brazil obviously was a bigger move, at least further away. And then it occurred to me that when I’d been travelling back and for...

At a crossroads yet again.

This evening feelings of weariness flood my soul. Weary of not knowing. Weary of choosing to trust. Weary of waiting. Weary of walking yet not knowing what I am walking in or towards. Weary of figuring out life on my own. This past month the reality of crossroads in life has hit me yet again. I knew it was coming, but suddenly it was there and I just had to go with it. There’s not much more I can do...except waiting and trusting and choosing. Choosing to let God be the One who guides and fights and prepares the path before me. My crossroads is “do I stay or do I go”? From Kansas City and IHOP-KC. In October I’ll have been here two years, which feels like 5 years and at the same time 6 months. In December I go home for Christmas. It’ll have been a year since last time and I’ll be seeing my niece who’ll be 3 instead of 2 years old, and my little nephew who will be 1 year already, and I’ll get to meet little Julie who is only three weeks old as I write this. She’ll be 4 months when I meet...