Skip to main content

A messed up world.

Yesterday evening when I was at our “Longing for His Glory” service/meeting in the barn at Grimerud (more like an ex-barn, as there are no longer cows there- which makes it a lot more agreeable to be in for a worship-service I am sure!), I felt a bit of God’s heart for people.

The meeting was fine, although I found it hard to really focus on what was going on and I felt kind of distracted by nothing in particular (sometimes that’s just the way it is, and I am sure I’m not the only one who’s had days like that). Towards the end of the preaching there were a few people who were on their way to leave. They seemed a bit agitated, and were not your “typical” churchgoers. I decided to go and at least make a point out of saying that it was nice they had come, and acknowledge them. I discreetly strolled to the back near the door, and kind of “hung around”. As they came towards me, the man approached me straight away and asked me what the name of this place was, because he wanted to call a taxi. I responded, and then asked him what his name was, and I also asked the girl who was with him. When I put out my hand and said it was good to see them, he gave me a hug, and so I hugged him back, and also gave the girl a hug.

Seems like they had recently become Christians, but the vacant look in their eyes, and the agitation told me that there was more to their lives than that. The guy struck me as a really tough guy who had fended for himself for a long time (and probably still does), and has a lot of anger stored up. The girl only 22 years old was so completely lost. When I spoke to her she didn’t seem quite with it, and when I looked her in the eyes and asked her to take care of herself because she is valuable and precious, there was a flicker of something in her look. Maybe a longing to believe it, I don’t know. It was good to be able to tell them with sincerity and a heart filled with God’s compassion that they were welcome!

Before they headed off I was allowed to pray with them. It was a short prayer, but I felt so privileged to be able to look them in the eyes and declare God’s love and His promises and purpose over them. And ask for Him to give them Peace. Peace that passes all understanding; Peace that comes when we give everything to God.

It messed with my heart to have encountered them. To meet people lost in this way right here in Norway; a country famous for taking such good care of people. And yet, even with the “systems” up and running and apparently functioning, people like these fall through the cracks and there is space for evil to destroy lives. I suppose it’s not really because of “societal cracks” being fallen into, but rather the fact that we live in a fallen world full of evil. A world where the only hope is Jesus.

I don’t know if I will ever see these two again. But if I do, I will greet them by name, and I will do what I can to show them value and point them to the Jesus who accepts, finds, restores, and who is the Truth that sets free and brings Hope to a messed up world.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o