Skip to main content

Counting down and getting ready…

A friend of mine asked me today if I am counting down. I think I am. Today it’s a week till I go, or rather, in a week I’ll be in Kansas City. It’s very surreal. Life is busy at the moment so I don’t really have time to dwell that much on the ahead. Just trying get through the “now” really.

This week I’ve been teaching 7-year olds in the local primary school. A lovely age-group to teach, but teaching full days does require some preparation. This evening I was sat here in front of the TV tracing half circle shapes onto cardboard as we’re going to make some mushroom figures for our crafts lessons tomorrow morning. I think they’ll enjoy it, hope so anyway.

I am trying to think of what I still need to sort out to get ready. I mean, I have my flight and visa and somewhere to stay when I get there, so those are really the main things. I logged on to at&t’s website today to see if the phone I got last time I was there still works, but it seems to have been cancelled. I’ve also got my international drivers licence and my travel insurance is in order.

Writing this I can feel butterflies in my stomach. As with all moves, when it’s happening it seems so much easier to not have to do it. I mean, right now it would have been nice to not have to go through the process of packing and saying good-bye and travelling. But I know God wants me to go, and I know that the best place for me to be is right where God wants me. And I also know that once I get there and settle in to a new day-to-day it will be great, it’s just that phase of arriving and settling that I find so hard.

I am so grateful to have some people that I know already there though, and the last few days it’s been so lovely to get little emails from them welcoming me back. It really makes me feel so loved.

Today I went to the cinema with my mum, aunt and cousin. We watched an excellent Norwegian film called “De Usynlige” about a guy who gets out of prison and goes to work in a church playing he organ. Fascinating film, excellent acting and the storyline is very engaging. It’s the kind of film that lingers with you even after you leave the cinema.
So that’s my life at the moment. A mix of being busy at work and feeling excited yet a wee bit daunted to be moving again.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o