Skip to main content

Ticking off the ”buy flight” box.

I really should get to bed as it’s almost midnight, but I wanted to jot down a few lines in my blog first…it really feels a bit like a diary in a way. I remember having lots of different diaries when I grew up. One was red with a little lock on…I think I only wrote in it for a few weeks. Another one was one of those 5-year diaries, brown was it’s colour, but in my impatience I never could motivate myself to write as it seemed so long till I would have finished it (when you’re eight years old, five years is almost a lifetime). In my adult life I’ve been writing journals which have been a collection of writing all kinds of things; meditations, thoughts, diary-type things, lists, Bible studies, prayers…sort of an ongoing registering of my life, without it being in the ”dear diary” style. It’s good to have an outlet, somewhere to write things down. And it’s really interesting to once in a while look back and see what I’ve written five or 10 years ago (now five years seems like no time at all).

Anyway, my few lines are turning into ”quite a few lines”. Really all I wanted to jot down was that I bought my flight today. In these internet days the whole ”booking a flight” is kind of dated (although the webpage I finally used to purchase my ticket gave me till midnight to pay for it, so I suppose technically my flight was booked before it was payed). I spent quite a while googling around for the best deal. Wanting to go with KLM I checked out their webpage first, only to find that my inital joy at finding a super cheap ticket was quickly quenched when I realized that the price which was so good almost got doubled once taxes were added (in my excitement I hadn’t noticed that it was a ”taxes not included” price). And so the search continued.

I finally found a ticket which was quite a lot cheaper then the KLM ticket, this time with Star Alliance group airlines and so that’s the one I’ve bought. The difference was too big to justify going with KLM for the sake of airmiles. I will have to get miles with Star Alliance this time.

So now I have a flight. I set off (and arrive since I travel back in time) on 7 October, so less then a month now. There are still a few bits and bobs to sort out before going so I am glad to have this time. And glad to have these next few weeks to spend with the people I will miss a lot when I go.

There you go. The step on the journey for today. How do I feel about it all? Peace. Excitement. A big nervous. Grateful to God for the privilege of serving Him. And determined to not stress but take things one thing and one day at a time.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o