Skip to main content

Amsterdam- first impressions and reminders of years ago.

The sun has gone done, but even if it’s evening, the streetlights, cars and lighted buildings make the city far from dark. I’m sat in my room at de Poort, the YWAM base in Amsterdam. It used to be a seaman’s house back in the day, which brought back memories of when I did my DTS outreach in Plymouth, England, and part of our ministry was at “the Royal Sailor’s Rest” (also known as “Aggie’s”) where we reached out to naval wives. Here in Amsterdam this seaman’s house has become home to missionaries, and my room for these 6 weeks is on the third floor and overlooks the canal.

I am once again in a big city.

Today feels like a very long day, which I suppose in all honesty it has, been taking into consideration I got up at 4:20 am this morning and was brushing snow off the car at 4:50 am to go to the airport. The flight was uneventful, although I thought it was worth noting that the sandwich we were served for breakfast was made from organic bread (which I am sure my organic eating friends will approve of). At Schipol airport in Amsterdam it was strange to, for the first time, follow the signs to “arrivals” and “baggage reclaim”, rather than figure out what gate I needed to go to and speed-walk there.

Someone from the YWAM base met me and another lady at the airport and then we travelled to the base using various forms of public transportation and our legs (walking, then train, then walking, then bus, then walking). I must admit I was very happy when we arrived having dragged two suitcases (one weighing 22.5 kg and being an ancient model meant that in spite of the wheels I needed to use my strength to drag it along) all over the place. I never knew I could get down an escalator with that much luggage by myself, but today I did. It really reminded me of my university days when I would have to lob luggage from train to plane and usually have them packed to the max. I am glad it’s a while till I’m leaving again as I imagine I’ll have forgotten how tiring it was by then.

After getting my luggage into my room (thankfully they have a lift so I didn’t have to carry my suitcases up three floors of stairs), I had some fruit and a cup of tea (nothing like a cup of tea to make my day!), and then I borrowed a map and went exploring. Even if a nap seemed tempting, I didn’t want to waste the day, especially since it was a beautifully sunny day (they tell me it rains a lot here). I walked to the train station (which only took 15 minutes, that is, without luggage, so I was grateful we’d taken the bus) and got myself a map of my own from a vending machine in the tourist information. I wondered around a bit, had some hot chocolate in a cafe, bought a croissant and some milk (so I can have milk in my tea) at the local supermarket and made it back to the base without getting lost. I think my main impression of Amsterdam is so far is: there are thousands of bikes here!! They are everywhere!

After my little excursion I headed to the Tabernacle of the Nations (the prayer room run by YWAM which is in the Red Light District) for the 1 pm intercession. I walked with one of the student-staff girls who was walking (as opposed to cycling, most people have a bike of their own, hence why there are so many bikes everywhere). It was so lovely to get to the prayer room. It’s small, but so so lovely, and when you walk there, it’s just suddenly there, located opposite the Old Church. It was really nice to be at the prayer time and also meet some more of the staff and students who will be at the course I’m going to do. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming.

Before going back to the base we walked around the shopping area a bit (one of the girls had some errands to run and I figured it was a nice opportunity to familiarize myself a bit more with the city). The route there was through the red light district. We weren’t walking in it for long, but long enough to walk past some of the “windows” and see the women standing there. I hadn’t really thought of what it looks like before, I’d just heard the term, but it caught me a bit off guard. It was so in-your-face, if that makes sense. And my heart just breaks for those women who are standing there on display, selling their bodies. I am sure I will become a lot more familiar with that whole dynamic while I’m here doing the course

So now I’m sat in my room writing this. I’ve unpacked (the content of my heavy suitcase is now filed away on shelves and it wasn’t really that much at the end of the day) and think I’m going to have an early night tonight. Outside my window I can hear the traffic, the sounds of the city. It feels familiar. I like cities.

Tomorrow I’ll go exploring again before the course gets started in the afternoon. I’m excited (and sleepy).

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o