Skip to main content

On my home before I go off again.

I’m sat on the train home from Grimerud. We’ve reached Kristiansand and so finally I’m sat facing the right way and can actually write a little blog update. It’s been a good week!

I led a couple of prayer times with a Human Trafficking focus, one focusing on the victims, the other on the perpetrators. It was so good to see people join with this heart which is also God’s heart and pray to see it ended and for God to break in. It also made me even more excited to do the 6 week seminar I’m starting end of next week because I expect to learn more!

The weekend was wonderfully calm. I went for walks in the snow (I did have the offer of skiing, but didn’t quite get to that point), and hung out with friends. I also took a few shifts in the prayer room as “doorkeeper” which is basically the one who is responsible and decides what is done in the prayer room in terms of if the prayer room webstream is on (and chooses what set if so) or puts on some music, or reads the Bible out loud. On Sunday it was just me so I put on an archive from the webstream with intercession for the ending of human trafficking in Juarez, Mexico. It was really good and I could lift up my prayers with them and be a part of what God desires to do in that city! It was a special feeling being the “doorkeeper” because I realized that I was the one keeping it going and that if I left then the 24/7 cycle that has been going since they started in September would be broken.

Then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I got to share with the prayer room team from my journey and some of what I’ve learnt the past two years and a bit at IHOP-KC. They were so lovely and responsive, and even if I felt quite nervous standing in front of them at first, it was nice to have an opportunity to share my heart. I also loved seeing them take some of what I shared and put it into practice. What a wonderful team they are! I really have such respect for them. I mean at IHOP-KC I was one of a thousand staff sharing the 24/7 load, here they are a small team of maybe 20-25 total who are keeping the prayer room open and running non-stop.

So now I’m on my way home... I am looking forward to some good quality time with family this next week. It’s almost too soon to be leaving again next Thursday, but I don’t think they’d postpone the seminar so I can have a bit more time at home . It’s going to be good. Good to continue on the journey with God and good to see what Amsterdam is all about. And a few of my friends from IHOP-KC will be coming there in the weeks I’m there, which is also really lovely. The world isn’t that big at all!

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o