Skip to main content

White snow in the red light district.

I can’t believe it’s Wednesday already. The past few days have been so busy it feels like I’m only stopping to sleep and then it’s morning again. But it’s been good, and hopefully I’ll get into a bit of a flow (and then suddenly the course will be over).

The course...it’s been a fantastic week. All about prophetic justice and focus and foundation having to be in God. A lot stuff I’ve believed and am passionate about, but also some tweaks that have been really good. God is a God of justice and true justice can only come from Him. The speaker was brilliant in what and how she shared and I have lots to process and go deeper in, and it’s only Wednesday!!! Apart from the teaching, there are work duties to do, coffee breaks to be had, small group, walking, bonding with people...it’s busy. But good, but I need to pace myself and use wisdom as well (note to self to not forget this point).

This afternoon I went out to visit the women behind the windows in the Red Light District with the women’s ministry. We go out in pairs and bring coffee and tea for the ladies and men, and if some want to chat we chat with them. It’s very powerful, yet so respectful of their boundaries. These people have had their boundaries broken and distorted so much we want to show so much respect to them. Today was my first time and I really could feel God’s heart for the women and men we interacted with. What they do and where they are does not define who they are. They are real people with real stories and are just going on this journey called life the best way they know how. I am still processing this afternoon...but I think that even from the small glimpse I got today, I know a little bit more of what God feels when He looks at the Red Light District, not just as a place of darkness, but as a place of people who are really broken and really lost who He loves so much.

As we were leaving the Red Light District it was snowing, and I just thought of how the red blood of Jesus washes all our sins white as snow.

Then this evening a group of us went to a cafe next to where we’re living for one of the girl’s birthday and I’ve just gotten back from hanging out and laughing a lot. I love that I don’t have to carry what I saw this afternoon, but that Jesus carries the burden of the brokenness and darkness in the Red Light District. And I love that God is also a God of joy and even created laughter.

I love how diverse God is and that today I have lived experiencing different facets of who He is.

It’s been a good day.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o