Skip to main content

A collection of posts- glimpses into the last weeks.

Monday 12 September 2011

Sharing and living.

The sun has set as it always does, right at 6 pm, and it coincides with the awakening of the mosquitoes. Oh, the joys of living in the Brazilian countryside. I’m sat at my little glass kitchen table eating requeijāo (Brazilian runny cream cheese) on cream crackers (read: cremi craker) with a cup of PG tips tea (brought from Norway in my slightly overloaded luggage). I can’t believe I’ve already been here a month. Time is going quickly!

It’s been a really good week, but hard in places, but then that’s life in general- good and hard days. I shared at the staff meeting last week and it went really well. I was faithful to share what was on my heart and I trust it encouraged the staff here. It was also an exciting meeting as they laid out the plans for the main YWAM base property (which currently is empty in need of some restoration). As part of the plans is to build a prayer room where the chapel building is now. It’s so exciting to see how prayer is becoming the centre, and it should always have been, but now it’ll be in focus physically as well. My heart was so encouraged to hear these plans, and I can see even more clearly that I am truly here “for such a time as this” and get to be a part of laying the foundations in prayer and sharing of my life at a house of prayer. It’s just perfect, because God’s timing is perfect.

On Saturday I had another chance to share, this time with the group of volunteers who minister in the project in Oitāo Preto. It was such a precious time. I didn’t have very long, but being able to tell them that their identity is not in what they do and that they are so loved by God and are called to love Him back was so powerful!

After sharing I went with Marja, a friend here, to the city centre to buy some fabric. The city centre of Fortaleza on a Saturday isn’t the ideal setting, but it went surprisingly well. I guess coming at the very end of the opening time helped. We got almost everything we wanted done. The rest of the day we saw some more of the city. We went to Praia de Iraçema where they’ve built a new pier which is really nice, then we drove to find a place to eat lunch and ended up eating pāo de queijo at a little lanchonette. The rest of the day we went to a shopping centre, had ice cream and went to Beira Mar and looked at the paintings there. It was a long day, but good and different.

Different days are good and I so loved spending time in the city! I love the city.

Thursday 15 September 2011

Taking it all in.

Life is good. After feeling quite overwhelmed last week this week has been good, so far. On Monday I went to see a good friend of mine who lives in Aquiraz. It was such a precious time of being together and I felt so encouraged by the time I spent with her.

Tuesday is prayer day here on the farm. The goal is to spend 12 hours in prayer from midnight till 12noon. We’re doing pretty good and it’s so great to have a day where prayer truly is the focus. I usually go to the prayer room at 6am and stay till 9 or 10 am. It was a good time and in our intercession time at 8 am I tried to do some “harp & bowl” which is a mixture of singing and praying, a style we use at IHOP-KC a lot. It went quite well I thought, although we laughed quite a lot too. But it was good and I enjoyed it. It was nice that people were willing to enter in.

Tuesday evening is community service time, and people from the local community come. We have some worship, a short message, and then we divide into small groups and talk. It’s a lovely time, although the ladies in my group don’t say much… but it means I have to chatter on which is sometimes a challenge, but usually it’s a really sweet time. This Tuesday we spoke about peace, it was so good.

Yesterday I taught at the night school which went very well. The students diligently took notes as I spoke and I managed to say everything I had to say and only went over a little bit time wise.

Earlier on in the day I was in the community we work with. In the afternoon we were visiting families and walking around the narrow little alleyways. It’s very impacting to see clothes hanging out to dry everywhere, some people smiling and chatting, others with expressions of a life of hardship on their faces that speaks a lot louder than any words could express. In one house we visited the grandmother. She shared about life and her health issues. When we asked her how many live in the house, her answer was “oh, not too many right now”. Meaning that instead of 20, there are “only” 13 people who sleep there at the moment. And it’s a very small house. It’s amazing how our perspectives are so different. As we were returning to the project we passed by a man who was busy brushing his teeth by the side of the road, and saw children and adult going about life. Life in the community in some senses seems so simple, yet even in the simplicity the issues they are faced with day after day are heavy and complicated- death, drugs, murder, health issues, poverty… so much need. And then you have the lady (who seems quite old, but probably isn’t) who we shared with about Jesus and she wanted Him in her life and now her countenance has changed. Her circumstances remain the same, yet there is something different about her. And then there’s the 16 year old who is doing pretty well, yet is in a bit of trouble coz her boyfriend was arrested for drugs. She’s a beautiful girl and is searching, and even in her “confidence” and “outgoingness”, she knows that Jesus is tugging at her heart. Time in the community always fills my heart and mind with so many impressions and connects me with God’s heart. And even as we start the day there with weak worship and weak prayer, I know that in that very moment, sitting in the little project house in the middle of the community, we are making the most difference. That the conversations and relationships we encounter as we go out are fruit of the time when we’re connecting with Jesus.

What a privilege.

Saturday 17 September 2011

Rest.

I don’t know why Thursday ended up being such a rough day. I guess waking up and feeling unwell wasn’t the best start to a day that turned out long and busy. But I got through it and it finished well.

Thursday felt like a whirlwind. Many of the staff unwell, everyone busy and overwhelmed, and on top of that I was teaching in the evening about Human Trafficking. But I don’t want to dwell on the “challenges”. I want to dwell on the goodness of God. He got me through it and at the end of the day, after having taught about Human Trafficking and Intercession (and actually sharing all I wanted to share without running out of time, well almost, I think I went over just a little bit), I felt better than I had the whole day. There is a spiritual battle, and I think Thursday I was right in the middle of it, and God in His goodness carried me through. What an amazing God we have!!!

Yesterday was another incredibly busy day. In the morning we made a special breakfast for Selma for her birthday. Apart from having the opportunity to love and honour her, it was also a sweet time of people spending time together. Relationships are so important! I made a brownie with a condensed milk and coconut frosting and it ended up more like a brownie mousse then cake, but it was very nice (if I can say so myself).

Then we set off to Lar Davis, which is a beautiful, Christian orphanage about 15 minutes from here. Two sisters who used to live in Oitāo Preto live there and I wanted to pay them a visit. Some of you will remember the story of “Camilla” and her little sister and of the miracle of God in bringing them there. “Camilla” at age 10 was addicted to crack and was completely out of control and when we didn’t know anymore what to do we just prayed even harder. And God responded and through a series of circumstances we could never have brought about without God, she ended up at Lar Davis. And she is doing so so well. She turned 15 this year and is on fire for Jesus. It was such a joy to see her again, see how good she’s doing and hear how she’s so rooted in Jesus. This summer she spent a week with her aunt in the community and was busy sharing about Jesus with her family, testifying of a Jesus who transforms lives! Her dream is do an interior design course and one day she says she’ll be a missionary. Her sister who is 14 wants to become a pediatrician. My heart was so full of joy and gratitude as we left. It brings such hope!!

As we arrived back at the farm we ended up leaving straight away to resolve some urgent issues and do our afternoon visits. We wanted to visit some of the boys who used to live on the farm to encourage them and see how they were doing. Our first stop was at M’s house. He wasn’t in, but his mother and siblings were there, so we visited with them for a good while. It was good to see his mum smiling. She has changed a lot since I first met her many years ago. Still, life is really hard and you could tell that things are difficult. The children are hungry and M isn’t doing very well at all. We prayed with them and gave her some counsel. M’s brother (who lives at the farm here) went home to spend the weekend with his family today, so we bought a “food basket “ (not a literal basket, but a food parcel of basic foods- cesta basica) for him to take to them.

After that we went to get P to take him to his grandmother. His older brother was killed a few weeks ago so we were going with him to visit her (she raised and is raising most of his siblings). It was so hard to be there. She is falling apart. Just sobbing and talking about how her life is over and how now that her “son” is gone there is no-one left that she loves. She was saying she just wants to throw herself in front of a car and end it all. I told her she would do no such thing and spoke life over her as I acknowledged her grief. But it is hard. She is depressed and life is so so hard. She has lost so many family members, many of them killed in terrible ways. It’s not surprising she’s in the state she is. But she still has at least 3 of P’s brothers living with her, and my heart was breaking for them also. What does it do to a 16 year old to hear that his grandmother, who is like mother to him, only loved his brother who is now dead? It was so heavy, yet we spoke life and prayed and continue to pray. As we left my heart was heavy. And it still is.

Seeing P again was good, but bittersweet also. He’s doing fine- working, has bought a little house with his brother, and is ok. Yet he admitted that his relationship with God isn’t what it once was and I think he still dreams of a different life, yet know that he has chosen the life he is living. But by all means, he is doing ok, and is no longer the little 8 year old I met 13 years ago, but a man responsible for his own life and actions.

It was a long day (we still had the night school to do before heading home. Thankfully I could just listen to the class and not teach it).

Today is a much needed day off. Peter and Selma are away for the weekend so I’m staying in their little apartment here on the farm. It’s so cozy and relaxing and nice to have some space to just be. Right now the internet is working which is also really lovely since it means I can sit here in their comfy sofa with the prayer room webstream on (only audio coz the internet is pretty weak, but it’s better than nothing) writing my blog.

I think it’s going to be a good weekend. This afternoon I might go to the beach with some friends, but we’ll see. Next week is different. I’m going to visit my friends Andrew and Claudia for a few days on Wednesday. It’ll be good to catch up properly with them, and since they live in the city I hope to get some shopping done also. And then the week after I’m off to Belo Horizonte for a week to go to a conference and workshop on Human Trafficking.

Time is going quickly, but today I don’t want to focus on time. I want to just be.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o