Skip to main content

A BIG fat update.

I suddenly realised how long it’s been since I’ve blogged. And so much has happened. It feels like years since my life wasn’t consumed with the “Shine Seminar”, and it’s so funny to think that when I last wrote I hadn’t even met the Shine students or felt how it feels to be full-time doing this. It’s been intense. Intensely good, intensely challenging, overwhelming at times, but I think the conclusion (at least sitting here reflecting) is that it’s been great to partner with God in this.

Hearing stories and being a part of the journey.

One of my highlights these past weeks has definitely been to hear stories of what God has done and is doing. Getting to know the students that have been doing Shine and getting to journey with them for these six weeks has been such a privilege. I love hearing stories and seeing where people are headed on their unique journeys.

Beauty and loving.

The speakers of Shine have all had different journeys- some with God, most in the area of fighting injustice, and all have had such tremendous wisdom to impart. Two things that still linger with me as I sit here writing this (although there is so much more) are the importance of “doing beautiful things”; that when you work in such a dark area with so much hopelessness, the way to keep balance, survive really, is to make sure to take time to do things that bring life! The other thing was just a statement, but it struck me so deeply: “we don’t have to love the women (i.e. women in prostitution) more than other people.” I’ve never thought of it in quite that way before, but I think it can become so easy to have hearts filled with love and compassion for the broken God has put on our hearts, yet His commandment and desire is that we “love our neighbour”. I am meant to love every person I interact with, whether it’s the most broken person I’ve ever met, or an arrogant person I really don’t like. I am to love everyone, and walk in the love that is “patient, kind, keeping no record of wrong, that doesn’t get frustrated, that bears all things...” I feel so challenged to be even more intentional in this. I want to love better and I want my heart to be overflowing with the love I have received from God.

How do I “run this race”?

I’ve been so so busy these past weeks. Much more busy than I’ve wanted to be. I like having things to do, but I don’t like feeling like I’m rushing around. I don’t like not having time for people, which is ultimately what being busy seems to result in. Running Shine has definitely been a challenge, but I have learnt so much. And I hope I am finding a better rhythm. There might only be 10 days left, but I want to learn how to do this at a good pace. Today I had a good pace.

I have missed having more time in the Tabernacle, spending time gazing on Jesus. It has made me reflect and realize that the House of Prayer is more than just a way of doing ministry to me; it has to be a part of how ministry is done. How can I give out if I’m not being filled? How can I bring people to a deeper encounter with Jesus if I’m not taking the time to encounter Him myself? Is it possible to do both the traditional “ministry” and House of Prayer? Not side by side, but as one, a flow of encountering God’s heart and moving in response to that? I keep wondering what it looked like when Jesus said: “I only do what I see my Father doing”.

But I’m learning how to stay connected to Jesus “on-the-go”, and learning that when there’s no time to get fresh input, I can give from a well that is full. And I am learning that His grace is so completely and totally sufficient. And that He is enough at all times and in all situations.

The people of the city.

It was such a gorgeous day today. A bit nippy, but lovely to walk around the city. As I was strolling around (strolling, not speed-walking, which was a nice change) I was praying for the city and thinking about who are the people of this city.

As I walked along I noticed the tall, old man, with two long tufts of a greeny/gray hair which looked a bit like dread locks (not sure if they were intentional or not), who looked intently at the rubbish bags on the pavement.

I noticed the older lady on the pedestrian crossing who had such a look of confusion and anxiety in her face, as she held her arms tightly wrapped around herself. I wonder what her story is, and I hope there is some place she feels safe.

And the smaller, middle-aged man I was waking behind at the Rembrantplein. With his trousers stained and hair dishevelled. He had a backpack on his back and a strained look on his face. He was walking quickly with a limp. Yet it seemed more like he was trying to get away from, rather than heading to somewhere. It was such a contrast to the sidewalk cafes full of tourists enjoying a drink in the nice weather. I wonder what his life has been like. Has it always been hard? Is there somewhere that he calls “home” and feels like he belongs?

And pink. The group of girls in pink at the Niewmarkt square, all surrounding another pink girl who was trying to figure out some clue in what was probably one of the many bachelorette parties of the weekend. And the man who was walking so quickly wearing a pink t-shirt with the words: “4 things 2 do before my wedding”. I hope they are 4 things that will bring honour to his wife-to-be and will strengthen the foundation of the “rest of their lives” together....

My heart was so filled with compassion for all these people as I walked along. And then I realized: these are the people of the city. The happy tourists are the people. Those who come for a “last weekend of freedom” are the people. The anxious and confused and lonely- they are the people. And the poor and lonely- they are the people of this city. And since I live in this city (at least for now), these people, in some way, are my people now. They are the ones I am to seek the welfare of. They are my “neighbours” today.

Enough for now.

I’ll stop there. Monday I travel to Latvia with Shine- I think it’s going to be a good week.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o