Skip to main content

Just like us in a desperate situation.

Last night we joined with the ministry here as they reached out to the women who work on the streets. The team from here went to meet the women; we went out praying in the area. It was a powerful evening, and as we were walking the streets where the women also walk, so many things struck me and impacted my heart. This is such a stunning city in so many ways, and when you really look at the people (obviously without blatantly staring them in the face which might seem a tad threatening), they are so beautiful. They are unique and reflect the tender beauty of God, their Creator. I love that about different peoples- that each people group has different features that distinguishes them from others, yet makes them part of their people.

However, as we were walking the area and praying, there were so many buildings so worn down and neglected. So much hopelessness was felt, and in some ways it felt like there is no hope for change. Yet, in the middle of the square you see the church. In fact the church is so huge it towers over everything and you can see the spire from block away. The church is there. Jesus is there. And I felt so encouraged to be reminded that in the midst of the hopelessness and darkness, people of hope and light are going out to the streets. Brining hope and being light.

The area isn’t like you would picture it. It’s hard for the untrained eye to even know who is just a normal person and who is there to work the streets. And yet that is just it. The women are just like us in so many ways. They are women with lives and talents and things they like and don’t like. They have stories and dreams. Or at least had dreams at some time before they stopped dreaming. They are normal women who are in a desperate situation. They are women who are lost, needing to be found. They are women who feel all alone and need to encounter the God would created them, delights over them, and has not forgotten them.

And so I sit here on my final morning in Riga. The sky is grey outside, Ryan Kondo is leading worship on the webstream, and I am reflecting on last night. My heart feels broken with the brokenness of the women, yet at the same time I feel faith arise. Faith that nothing is impossible with God. Faith that if God remembers these women and has put it on the hearts of people in this city to reach out to the, then surely His purposes and plans for them are greater then what they are living right now.

I might fly back to Amsterdam this evening, but I know I fly back carrying with me more of God’s heart then I arrived with. And I am excited. Excited to hear the reports. And excited to play a part in what He is doing here, if in no other way, then through prayer.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o