Skip to main content

A journey to Africa | Johannesburg airport in transit.

And so it has begun. After months of anticipation and preparation I am well on my way. I am typing this at the airport in Johannesburg as I sip a latte in a very tall glass, and enjoy some lovely french toast with Maple syrup and bacon. My view is of the runway and is a reminder of how airports connect the nations.

This is not my first time at this airport. 20 years ago when I was 20 I had a layover here travelling back from visiting friends in Zimbabwe. There was a strike with the company I was flying with and so instead of a direct flight from Harare to London, I had to fly via Johannesburg. I remember how nervous I was, wondering how I would figure out the whole changing planes thing, and remember finding it all quite an ordeal despite being upgraded to business class (which at that time meant sitting next to a chain-smoking gentleman and with the entertainment system not working for the whole very long flight). Looking back I see how much things have changed. How much I have changed. How much life adds to us wisdom and experience and the peace in knowing that things mostly work out somehow. Getting on a series of flights to reach a destination has become normality, and I have learnt to savour not just the arriving, but also the travelling, realizing that every journey really begins the moment an idea or thought or dream starts to become a concrete plan.

Expectations. They are there whether we have formulated them or not. Life has been busy and I've not found enough time in the past weeks to really sit down and think about this trip in a focused way. Not enough time to pray and ask God what He has for this mini-missions trip. And yet I feel such a surge of excitement as I sit here. A bit zombielike energy wise (flights are a cause of interrupted sleep, and it might just be my age, but the seats seemed even narrower than before even for me with short legs), but feeling light. Full of peace and like the weight of the every-day having been lifted, leaving capacity to see more and take in more. Ready for what these week will contain and hold, hoping that as I get to live life here for a tiny while, that I can be a blessing to those I meet along the way.

I just ordered a glass of mango juice, and the thick sweet flavour takes me back to Brazil where there was so much life. I hope this time can also bring renewed life to my heart as I again step out of what is comfortable and familiar, and get to see the faithfulness of God in the midst of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o