Skip to main content

Bocaria. | Storytime with the children.

After meeting some of the faithful men and women and children in the small concrete church room, we were ready to head to the top of Bocaria. Standing at the bottom it didn't seem like it would be too hard of a climb, and watching people going up and down with large packs of plastic bottles on their heads, we were sure it would be fine. Climbing up was a little more challenging, especially as you constantly had to watch your step to prevent stepping on a sharp piece of glass or in other things. The path up was well trodden and after not too much trouble we reached the top.

I don't think any description could prepare me for the sight that met us as we stepped onto the top of the largest rubbish dump in the city. There was rubbish as far as the eye could see. In the distance the rubbish trucks were off-loading and surrounded by people eager to see if they could find something that could be of value or use. There were quite a few people up there, and small fires scattered around. The smell of smoke and rubbish made it an overwhelming experience for all senses. We prayed and then went to talk to people. We talked a bit to a young girl aroudn 10 years who was watching her little 7 month old sister while her mother walked back and forth with bags of rubbish. We approached a few other people but most were busy working or not interested. It broke my heart to see the state these people live in. And yet they have such worth. The mother's are there because it's the way they get food for their families, and I believe every single person working on that rubbish dump are doing so because they have no other way. And yet even doing so shows glimmers of hope. Hope that maybe their children will have a different future, and hope and belief that life is worth living and fighting for.

Words fall short of describing that morning on the dump, but what I do know is that coming back down to the small church room and seeing it full of children whose families work on that same rubbish dump, and who live in houses surrounding it, was such a joyful sight. There were many smiles and hugs, and where some might have found it hard to think of something to be joyful about in such a dire situation, they hadn't let their circumstances steal their joy. I was wearing a capulana (a piece of fabric wrapped around me like a skirt) and was having problems keeping it tucked in properly. One of the church ladies saw it and promptly helped me tie it securely. The gesture impacted me because it created a bond where we were suddenly just two women in a church where one helped the other, and a barrier was removed.

Driving back afterwards we were all pretty quiet. I think it was and will continue to be a lot to take in. And I hope that it really changes the way I see what I have and makes me more thankful, and hopefully more generous.

The evening we popped over to the dorm with 4-8 year old boys. Good to be with children who are in a secure place where the get three meals a day and have clothes that aren't ripped. I sat and read books to them, which was fun but also slightly challenging when you have a group of them all wanting attention at the same time. It's a large group (I think around 25 here also), but also here the Mozambican staff do an amazing job. I only stayed about an hour. The day had already taken a lot out of me. But it was good. It felt like it was a quality day and I was thankful for my food and my bed that night.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o