Skip to main content

A deeper glimpse into the life of the majority in Moldova.

The train slowly pulled away from the platform. We were all situated on the bright orange wooden benches in the mint green and orange painted train headed from Chisinau to Bender. We were on our way to a small village church with a team from OM (Operation Mobilization) here in Moldova. The hour and forty minute train journey passed reasonably quickly. It was fascinating to observe the landscape outside through the dirty train windows, which created a slightly foggy effect on the scenery. Passing fields and hills and forests with the occasional buildings on the way it was easy tell we were leaving the big city.

Yesterday we spent the day in the city, which was vastly different to Amsterdam. I felt like we were the only tourists and as we walked through the bustling market buying fruit for breakfast, it was fascinating to see how you could literally buy anything there. We spent the day walking around the city and getting a bit of glimpse of this city with its run-down cement buildings and large streets with numerous travel agencies advertising trips to Italy and other destinations. A reminder of the reality that many Moldovans choose to move abroad if they have the opportunity as anything seems better than what the country has to offer them. A highlight of the afternoon was going to one of the parks and seeing several weddings have their photos taken at various points. Seeing the beautiful brides in white filled me with hope for the families and my prayer was that these marriages would turn into healthy families which would last.

Our train continued to screech along, and finally we reached our destination which was literally a slab of concrete made platform. We all hopped off the train and then stepped across the rails to get to the church. As we entered the small congregation I was struck by their sincerity and faithfulness. It was a humble gathering of people, the vast majority children, and we got to do a few things in the service. It was powerful to share communion with these people whose reality is so different from mine, yet recognize that in Christ we can be unified and are the same.

After the service we enjoyed some rays of sunshine outside before lunch was served. They had made soup and a pasta with salad for us, accompanied by a compote juice (basically fruit boiled until all the flavor has been boiled into a juice, with sugar added). It was all delicious and again I was so struck by the generosity we were shown. The generosity and welcome from this place where we were strangers coming in. I was so impacted by the couple leading the church, and hearing how the two of them are basically on their own and run a day centre for the children of the community every weekday after school time where they serve a meal and help the children with home work. Children who might not eat anything else that day. Children with such value and potential, yet limited by coming from families who aren’t able to provide all they need.

As it became afternoon we went off to do family visits with food parcels. Memories of my days visiting families in Brazil came flooding back and I felt so privileged for the opportunity to get a glimpse into the reality of so many families in this country.

After about a ten minute walk we arrived at a rundown block of apartments and walked up the stairs. Knocking on the front door the pastor announced our arrival and we stepped in. We were greeted by a lovely woman who is a single mum with four children. Listening to her story of how she had ended up there and learning about how she has to work seven days a week in a job that is physically hard was heart-breaking. Yet seeing her home and her children brought me so much joy. Even in an apartment with damp and mould and no money, she has created a home and it was easy to see she was taking good care of what she had. Her children were precious, yet the reality of the 11 year old daughter having to step up where her mum is working to keep them going made me wonder about the future for this young girl.

After talking and listening for a bit and doing some non-verbal communication with the children (who only spoke Russian) I got to share some encouragement with the woman. As I was sharing with her about how God wants to be her strength and wisdom, I felt tears well up in my eyes. I held them back as I didn’t know how to explain my emotion to her and didn’t want her to feel like I was pitying her or looking down on her. My heart was just so struck by the reality of her life and how incredibly tough it must be for her having heard so much about what she had walked through. And realizing that her circumstances probably would never change. As I shared about God wanting to give her wisdom when she feels overwhelmed by life, she lit up and shared that that in fact happens to her, and it was such a precious moment of glorifying God for His faithfulness together.

We said our goodbyes and as we were walking back to the church I was thinking about her reality and realizing the need for an eternal perspective. How there is still hope even if she continues in the same circumstances. That God does bring hope and is a God of hope even in this poorest of countries in Europe. And I prayed for this woman and her children, that through their mum and the day centre, they would grow up to be men and women of God who will walk in hope, knowing that in eternity there is no pain or suffering anymore and that God will make all things new.

There are so many other moments to write about from today, but I will leave it at that as it is late, and I just had a chat about Human Trafficking and Jesus with another guest here at the hostel where we’re staying.

So I will post this and get some sleep, and get ready for another day which will no doubt be packed with fresh impressions.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o