Skip to main content

So much hope.

As I got ready for the day I was expecting to sit here at the end of it feeling heavy and overwhelmed by the reality of Human Trafficking here in Moldova. Instead I find myself processing the day and realizing that the main thing I come away with is a deep sense of hope.

We visited two projects today that work with people at risk of or rescued from human trafficking. I was so impacted by what God is doing in this nation in this area. Talking to the leaders of these projects and hearing the vision and what they are doing, and even more what God is doing, I was so encouraged.

At “Beginning of Life” we spent some hours just meeting and sharing with Vladimir, the director of the project. He shared some of the reality of human trafficking in his nation, but more about how the doors are wide open to do prevention work in the schools of the nation, and how teenagers come and do a year-long weekly project where they are “prepared for success”. And he shared how in their restoration home for trafficked women, the girls have been encountering Jesus and share with each other that even if they can’t say where God was when the abuse happened, they know where He is now. There was so much more we discussed and talked about in our time meeting, but I am still processing and dwelling on hope!

At the other project we met with a committed group of staff who are pouring out their lives to see girls restored and have become like family to them. It was another ray of hope in this country with so much hopelessness, and again we left feeling encouraged at what God is doing and how His people have chosen to partner with His heart for those who have been forgotten by so many.

And so I sit here with hope! Seeing that God hasn’t lost hope for this nation. Hope, because there are amazing people here who aren’t just passionate about justice and seeing injustice end, but who are passionate that Jesus be made known in the midst of their projects which carry such amazing excellence and professionalism.

And I find I’m still processing. Processing the new things I learnt and the heart of God that I’ve connected with through seeing His heart in these workers. And processing how I turn this day into more than just an “experience”, but asking how I can be putting what I learnt into practice in my sphere of influence and authority.

Tomorrow morning we travel 3 hours by bus to a village to get more insight into what Moldova is. I am excited and realize that processing this trip is going to take more than a few evenings of blogging.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o

Single-tasking September: The art of single-tasking.

To change habits and ways of life, the motivation for change has to be strong, and the benefits outweigh the effort it takes to make the change.  For so long it’s seemed like the ability to multitask has been regarded as a great skill, but is it really a good thing? Recovering from burn-out, one of the effects I noticed was that it was harder to concentrate, and especially tricky trying to focus on many things at once. I’d try to multitask, only to realise that all tasks suffered from lack of capacity to complete any one of them. The challenge is that the habit of always doing many things at once goes deep, and when I tried to focus on just one thing, I found that it was actually really difficult.  As I did a little google search on the matter, I found it seems like multitasking isn’t as healthy as once thought, and that it doesn’t help productivity. Some even referred to it as “switch tasking”, in the sense that the brain isn’t doing many things at once, but shifting rapidly between