Skip to main content

Hope among the poorest in the village.

First impressions.

Our three hour bumpy bus ride to the village of Paicu in the south of Moldova reminded me of the minibuses in Brazil, that are always packed and bumpy. In the driver’s defense, the roads weren’t the best either. Finally we got off at what seemed in the middle of nowhere and started walking down the dirt road in the direction of the village. I was so grateful to have our contact, now friend, with us who knew where we were going. After a little walk we were met by a white van driven by one of the missionaries in the village. She grew up there amidst a lot of hard challenges, found Jesus, and is now on fire for God, having got His heart for her village and has planted a church there. She is  slowly seeing her family and others coming to Jesus as they see the transformation in her life.

As we drove into the village we saw large piles of hay stored up for the winter, chickens and geese wandering around, bright blue fences and green houses, and beautiful flowers. The dust whirled up as we drove on the dusty road, but not for long. We soon arrived at a lovely white building which is the church/ministry project/missionary housing. It has chickens for eggs and lots of vegetables in the garden. In Moldova they preserve a lot of fruit and vegetables for the winter months which they often store in underground rooms to keep them cool.

In the kitchen the women were busy preparing hot lunches for some of the poorest in the village who receive a hot meal five days a week as part of the feeding project there.

Feeding the poor.

After a quick visit to the loo (which was a hole in a cement floor) we were on our way to deliver lunch. Warm soup with chicken and vegetables, buckwheat, and bread. The hot components were transported in glass jars; “Moldovan Tupperware” the locals joked, although I thought it was a great idea.

I was so impacted by these visits. Writing this I feel tears come to my eyes. I was moved by the deep poverty we saw which I didn’t expect to see. But I was even more impacted by the incredible love I saw in the staff as we delivered the food.

 At the first house we were met by an elderly couple in their 70s. The wife is sick and although you can see they take care of their home, they have no-one taking care of them. There are many elderly people in Moldova who are all alone because their children have moved abroad and they feel abandoned, sometimes even having to raise their grandchildren. Anyways, as we introduced ourselves to this beautiful old lady, she took a hold of my face and kissed my cheeks and said “she looks like one of ours”. Maybe I reminded her of one of her relatives. We smiled and they talked and we prayed. Prayed for her health as she is sick. After the prayer she looked at us with tears in her eyes. The missionary prepared the food for her and we said our goodbyes. I felt so humbled to have been welcomed into her home with such joy. And I was reminded of how much I love working with families when I was in Brazil, and the joy of just loving and being present with them.

Stepping into the homes.

In the next home I was amazed by the stunning traditional embroidery on the walls as big wall hangings. The bed spread on the bed was a bright blue with flowers, and the woman herself was wearing a green headscarf. When I asked if I could take a photo of her in her beautiful home, her response was “why not?” My heart was filling up with so much love for these women whose lives are being made better by getting a hot meal each day. And I was so challenged by the value of love and the value of just making someone’s day better. This feeding project isn’t about getting someone out of poverty but about giving dignity and hope. So often it’s easy to get focused on how we can get someone out of a situation that seems wrong to us, whereas the reality is that these elderly people will end their lives poor. Yet they are encountering Jesus as he comes in the form of a warm meal a day and prayer.

Not all homes were as well cared for as these two. In one home everything was in disarray. It was messy and dirty and you could tell that the person living there wasn’t doing well. The meal we lovingly laid out on the table, waiting for the man to come home, made such a statement of “even if you have given up, we love you and care for you, and we still have hope for you”.

The dignity of creativity.

I think visit that impacted me the most was to a lady who is deaf and mute. As we entered we didn’t plan to stay for long because of the communication issues. Waiting for her to open the door we prayed silently for her situation. The outside of her house was full of corn on the cob, ready to be processed in some way to be kept for the winter. When she opened the door she beckoned for us to come in. She was clearly upset about something, and through hand motions she showed us how the walls of her house are crumbling and that her stove doesn’t work. In winter the houses are warmed through the heat from the wood burning stove and without it working it is a dire reality. It was such a hopeless reality to be faced with.

However my favorite part came after being shown this. The woman then went into another room and wanted us to follow, so we did. In that room she was creating rugs from old clothes and was showing us one of the rugs she had made. The way her face just lit up and the pride she had as she showed us was priceless. It was so powerful.

From the despair she had shown from the state of her house, to the beaming smile and the dignity she exuded as she showed us what she had made; it can’t be explained in words. It’s that feeling of your heart being hit by a joy you are sharing with someone else as she is taking joy in showing you what she has poured her heart into making. Memories of her radiant face have remained with me these days, and in a sense she is the face of the poor of Moldova to me.

We visited a few other families, including a wonderfully joyful woman with two teeth- one gold, one white, but with such a passion and joy. She’s a member of the church and that evening she was so delighted to see us again. The love and acceptance these people showed us “foreigners” has been incredible.

Thankful.

In the afternoon we had a lunch which I think was very similar to the meals we had just delivered. I ate with a deep thankfulness. Thankfulness that I have never gone hungry. Thankfulness for the food I was eating in that moment, and thankfulness to have had my eyes opened to the reality of so many in the world. I want to always remain thankful and not take even the simple reality of food on the table for granted. It reminds me of the question of “why me? Why did I get to be born into wealth and these people into poverty? ” Yet with those questions sneaking into my thinking, I choose to change them into a prayer of thanks and a trust in the God who is bringing food and hope to these ones because He has not forgotten them.

The children of the village.

After lunch we joined with the day centre which is an after school program for a group of the most needy children in the village. They get a hot meal and help with their home work. Many come from abusive families, or are social orphans, which is where their parents are working abroad and they are being raised by an older sibling or in some cases other relative. We spent the afternoon playing outside with them and it was really fun. Fun to see how all children are really the same and yet each one of these is also unique and special. As we rounded up our time together it was powerful to hear them wish us well and ask blessings on us and many of them invited us to come back some time. The children touched my heart as well.

Dressing for church.

In the evening we put on skirts and headscarves for church and joined with the small congregation of about twenty. We sang together and prayed together and listened to the word of God together. Seeing them praying and fasting for those who are sick and suffering in their village, and sensing their hope and love and the life they carry was so inspirational. Jesus is really moving in the village and the people are seeing that it’s not only words, but it’s real change. People who were drinking and abusive are being saved and restored by God and it is changing the village, one person at a time.

The heros.

The next morning we woke up to a mist covering the fields, and a chilly dampness in the grass as I plodded to the loo in the wee hours of the morning. At six am one of the ladies was already in the kitchen peeling potatoes for the meal of the day. A bit later over breakfast the leader of the project and church was sharing with me her dream. Her dream and vision is to have a house with lots of room and to bring a group of children from the most abusive families with alcoholic parents to stay there with them on weekends and on holidays. She wants to bring them the relief that so many never find, and she wants to invest in them where everyone else has forgotten them. Such an amazing vision and such a reflection of the heart of the Father for these children.

As we said goodbye to her and the other ladies working there, I wished I could have spoken more with them. I wished that there had been time to share more with them. Seeing the love that just poured out from them to the families, made me want to know more what is in their hearts, and what the revelation of God’s heart is that they carry.

Returning to the city.

As we sat in the minivan back to the city my heart and mind were just full. Full of all I had seen and the impressions and lives I’d been allowed to have a glimpse into. Our drive was a lot smoother and I was able to take in more of the scenery we passed. Looking at the beautiful countryside as we passed walnut trees, vineyards, sunflower fields (which had withered sunflowers rather than alive ones), and other fields, and hearing about the abundance of fruit and vegetables when they are in season, made me think that maybe, just maybe, this is a bit what the garden of Eden is like. Legend says that when God distributed land to the nations, He ran out of land and gave Moldova a little part of Eden…

Change of focus.

Returning to the city we quickly packed up our stuff at the hostel (after a quick nip to the local market to get some fresh dates and almonds), and were picked up by the wonderful staff of “New Hope Moldova” who are helping organize the “Shine Network Gathering”, which will be the focus the next few days. It was amazing to hear a little bit of what they do here in Moldova, in creating transition homes for orphans who are at high risk of becoming victims of trafficking when they leave the orphanages. Another ray of hope in this nation! It was so refreshing to speak to one of them who said she longs for Moldova to be known by more than the poverty and statistics of human trafficking.

After lunch at “Andy’s Pizza” (which quickly has become a regular meal place for us) we drove to the countryside to the camp where the conference will be held. We didn’t know what to expect, but our expectations were exceeded in a good way. The afternoon was spent doing little details in preparation for the conference participants who arrive tomorrow. I love their heart for hospitality and encouragement, and filling small mesh bags with sweets for each participant was such a joy.

Setting my heart to receive more of His heart.

So here I am. I took a very cold shower and am sat on my bed with its green sheet with swans on, leaning against my fleece blanket and pillow. The room is simple but with all we need and we even have an en-suite bathroom, which is such a luxury after sharing the bathroom with others in the hostel, and in the village making do with limited facilities.

I just finished a cup of black tea with no milk in it (I am getting used to the absence of milk in my tea, but it’s not something I see becoming a permanent way of consuming this favorite drink of mine), and had a bite of a bounty chocolate. I realize this blog post has become very long… but again, I blog mostly for myself and those who have an interest in getting a glimpse into some moments of my life and the process of my heart in the midst of them.

I am wondering how to prepare my heart for the next few days. My heart already feels so tender with God’s heart for the poor and for this nation. I want to remain in this place of hope. As I network and learn more these next few days about the issue of human trafficking in Europe, I don’t want to lose what I have encountered these days. So my prayer is that God would show me how to keep processing this reminder of His heart for the poor. This heart which is so much more about His heart for each one, rather than His heart for a concept or even statistical group. God sees the one. He cares about the one. He reaches down to touch the one.

And so as I process these past days with God, I am reminded of Psalm 113 where it says: “He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap, to make them sit with princes, with the princes of his people.” This is who He is and what He wants to do.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o