Skip to main content

The mystery of re-adjustment and the pursuit of peace.

I’ve been back in Amsterdam for two weeks now. I would say back “home”, but Fortaleza felt so much like home, I’m not ready to call Amsterdam home yet. It’s weird. Culture shock, jet-lag, all those concepts that hit you when you spend more than just a holiday in a culture different from your own. I would have thought it wouldn’t hit me this hard having been away only a couple of weeks, but it has, and it is. Although I think I’m over jet-lag by now.

It was so strange to leave Fortaleza. In two weeks it became normality, although I was always aware that I was just visiting. Even as I ate lunch before leaving straight after, it didn’t feel like I was heading off. Pulling into the parking lot of the airport, the sensation was that it was to pick someone up, not actually for the purpose of me leaving.

The flight was long. And tiring. And uncomfortable. Usually I do well on planes, but a sore throat and cough added to a small seat I couldn’t quite get settled into made it feel so long. No complaints- you get what you pay for and this was a cheap flight, but still I arrived back in Holland tired. So tired.

I ended up sick after arriving. I attempted to regain some sense of normality by doing outreach the next day. It was good. A good reminder of why I’m here, yet I found myself feeling a bit out of it and a bit distant. Adjusting takes time, and yet there’s the expectation that it’ll be quick and painless to get back into the routine of things.

Routine. I wish I had one. I wish I had a rhythm that allowed me to “run in rest”. I find that every day I wake up feeling like it’s yet another day of too much and too many demands. But when I look at my list I realize that most of them are things I’ve chosen to put in my schedule, and so I wonder if I’m expecting more of myself than I should; if I’m making my responsibility to lead more than it is? If what I am requiring is more than God is asking of me?

As I sit here in my living room writing this I only have a couple of days before traveling yet again. Off to Moldova to visit some projects and attend a conference. I’m excited and expectant of what God will do, and yet as I am sat here I realize that it’s challenging to travel when there doesn’t seem to be a constant to come back to. Of course there is a constant in the practical, but I find my heart and my spirit are unsettled. I keep looking for peace, and when I find it I seem to only manage to grab a hold of it for a moment before stress comes and whisks it away.

And so as I stop and reflect on where I’m at I realize that peace is what I need. Peace is what I have to reach for. Peace is what my heart and my soul needs. And so I continue in my search for it. I know this is just a season. I know that this too will pass and that I will come into rest again and will find out how I am meant to “run the race”. But on the journey I cling on to Jesus who is the Prince of Peace, thankful that even in the challenges, which seem like small storms, He upholds me and sustains me.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o