Skip to main content

On-route to Moldova- a near miss and ponderings about the to be.

It actually feels like I’m on the beach. The hot sun is adding some extra tan to my face and arms, there is a cooling water mist coming from the fan in the corner, and we are lounged on some nice benches with comfy cushions on. The empty pot of Earl Grey is on the table and we are all typing away on our respective electronic devices. I guess the big question is: Where are we? Well, we are at a small café in the airport in Bucharest, Romania, making use of our 5 hour lay-over on-route to Chisinau, Moldova.

Arriving at the airport in Amsterdam  we were a bit astounded by the long queue for the bag drop. The newly introduced “self-service bag drop”, which in theory is meant to save time and be efficient, but which hasn’t entered into its full potential when tackled by unknowing “first-timers”, who end up spending a long time trying to figure out how to place their luggage in the little machine, how to scan their boarding pass, how to attach the id-strip to the bag or suitcase, and add to that the challenge of overweight, can make it a very extensive process for some people.

However, it went quicker than imagines, and after passport control we even had time for a snack as we waited for the flight. Our team had separated and we’d agreed to meet at the gate. However, as we were putting our luggage through the security check, the other two were no-where to be seen. We weren’t too worried as we figured they were already on-board. But when we settled into our seats, a quick glance at their row revealed that they had not yet arrived. After the rest of the passengers had found their seats, their names were called over the loud speakers, and we became a tad worried (although we only thought of the potential implications of being separated from the rest of our group afterwards). I headed to the front of the plane to assure the flight attendants that our friends were on their way and to please wait for them (I explained that we’d separated, and left out the fact that they had been chilling in the lounge as opposed to rushing from a connecting flight). Finally they arrived having had a mini-workout running almost the entire length of the airport to reach our gate. It was quite funny once they were securely situated in the plane, and I guess it’s one of those times when it would have been quite interesting if they had ended up not making it (especially since one of them is the one who’s our contact for our time in Moldova), and probably not quite as amusing.

So now, after our first flight we are sitting on our “wanna be beach veranda” at the airport, almost forgetting that there is another flight to catch in a while.

As I am sat here I am thinking about what Moldova will hold, and asking God to show it to me through His eyes. It’s always so different going somewhere new, and I am expectant for what we will see. There seems to be quite a lot of opportunities to get a glimpse not just of the touristic face of Moldova, but also the face of the people of Moldova. “The poorest country in Europe” says a lot in this day and age and I am interested to see what that means. And I am also wondering if it’s referring to a mere material poverty, or if the people also carry the hopelessness that so often accompanies a struggle for survival.

But even more than getting a glimpse for my own heart, I long to be an encouragement and be a blessing to the hearts of those we meet, be they workers in projects or the one they are reaching out to, and even our fellow hostel guests these next few days.

So there you go. I’ve not moved to a more shaded area next to another one of the mist-blowing-fans, thankful for this mini-oasis to take the brunt off what could have become a long and not quite so pleasant lay-over.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o