Skip to main content

The old woman with the apples (part two of yesterday’s impressions).

I noticed her on the train on the way there because she was sleeping with her head resting in her hands. Occasionally she would jerk awake only to fall back to sleep. Her head was covered with the traditional head scarf and I imagined she was just another older Moldovian woman on her way somewhere.

As we got off the train I noticed her because she struggled to climb down the steep steps of the train, and we had to give her a hand with her bag. Walking towards the church we offered to help her, but she wasn’t too interested so we let her be.

After the long day in the village we headed back to the platform (the slab of concrete in between the railway lines) and when we were almost there I saw her. She was lying on the ground, clearly very drunk, and her black bag was a little ways away. I wanted to help, but realized that communication would be a challenge. Thankfully our group had a few Russian/Romanian speakers and they were there shortly after me. They talked to her and helped her. Seems the story was that she’d arrived on our train that morning with apples to sell. Had been successful in selling them, and had purchased vodka with her profits. My heart was broken as I watched our team help/carry her to the platform to get her on the train so they could help her off at her home station. She was really out of it, and seemingly also had a physical disability. And I realized that this is not an uncommon occurrence here in this country. Often alcohol becomes the coping mechanism when life just gets too hard to deal with.

But what broke my heart even more was another lady, an acquaintance of this precious one we were helping, who basically said to leave here, that “she’s just an alcoholic, she’s not worth helping, tomorrow she will be back in the same state”.

And what blessed my heart was the pastor’s response (the pastor of the church we’d been with had followed us to the platform). He said that she is still a human being, and that Jesus would want us to help her, that this is what we are meant to do as Christians. And what made me respect him even more was the way he said it. He didn’t get angry with this woman, but he was firm in a gentle way, speaking up for this lady who couldn’t defend herself, and I’m not sure she even would if she had had a clear mind.

The train arrived and the woman was helped on with us. And my prayer is that she would encounter more men and women of God along her way who won’t condemn her, but who will reach out a helping hand, realizing that when we reach out to those who are being looked down on by everyone else, Jesus sees it as reaching out to Him, and it is received as worship.

Popular posts from this blog

Finding pockets of life (and a bubble-tea metaphor).

“Where can I find life?” has been a question I have asked myself a lot recently (but really for years). And really the deeper question is: “What is life, and what does it look like?” I guess the simple answer is whatever makes you feel alive on the inside; that brings a smile to your face; and that gives you energy and increases your capacity. There are so many side-effects of burn-out; or maybe they are rather causes of burn-out, which when combined become a huge mountain that can topple even the strongest of people. But once you have been depleted of your capacity to stand in the face of the challenges around you, one of the things that can help increase your energy and capacity is finding pockets of life. (And of course a lot of other things like rest, exercise, patience when the process is slow, setting boundaries etc. but that’s for another blogpost). The past months I’ve been watching and searching and paying attention. Searching for choices that will bring life, and paying att

There was a before and there will be an after.

“Do you really think it will go over?” A question posed as I was chatting to someone over coffee this week (with distance of course). My immediate response was that yes, I really do think it will go over, but I don’t know when or what it will look like. I don’t know when we’ll be back to “normal.” But to be honest, I am not sure I really want things to go back to being as they were before ... The past seven weeks have been so very different. Social distancing, staying one meter away from others, having permanently dry hands from antibac and washing hands a lot, and having to limit most interaction with others to a screen, have become part of everyday life. And of course the distance and isolating part of this “normal” I have no desire of seeing become part of the after . But at the same time I see good growing in this time of crisis; good that I do want to bring into the after , and what will become my normal when this crisis comes to an end. Time. Whether we like it or not, o

Small moments that mean a lot

Walking home on the crunchy snow that lights up a December evening,  I felt so thankful. The revelation that fellowship and being together is the best gift you can give someone, and realising that although it might seem small, it can turn into something big when a person feels seen and valued.  Yesterday I helped out with a crafts workshop for a group of lovely women volunteering for Crux where I worked before (well, in all honesty: they were making angels while I ate Christmas cookies, Quality Street chocolate, and chatted). I love walking alongside people in conversation, and realise sharing life for 2 hours can last so much longer in value and experience.  This evening we had our Christmas dinner for volunteers and people who are part of my current job. It was a delightful evening with many nations gathered around the same table…. eating the same food… and for a few hours creating a small fellowship moment that will become a good memory for the future. Often in my job the focus is o